Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Ashutosh singh <ge...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/19 07:17:36 UTC

How to enable RACK awareness on Already Running Kafka Cluster

Greetings,

We have 8 nodes Brokers setup on AWS in 2 availability zones with 2
replication. Our plan is to add one more node and distribute 3 nodes in
each AZ and change replication factor to 3.

In order to replicate data in each AZ we need to enable Rack awareness. Can
someone guide how can I achieve this ? I can bring down only one broker and
if I change settings in one broker i.e. (put broker.rack=rackid) and
restart the Kafka then what would be impact ? how it will handle with the
requests because other brokers have not these settings yet.

Also, we have 1000+ topics in our cluster , do we need to manually reassign
partitions for all topics ?

I have searched everywhere but couldn't find any place where it says if can
do it while kafka cluster is in operation.

I really appreciate if someone can help on this.

--
Regard
Ashu

Re: How to enable RACK awareness on Already Running Kafka Cluster

Posted by Ashutosh singh <ge...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot Peter.   I searched this line "It’s possible to enable
rack-awareness in a rolling manner"  everywhere over the internet but
coudn't find it.   Thank you for your help. Have a real nice day.

--
Thanx & Regard
Ashutosh Singh

Re: How to enable RACK awareness on Already Running Kafka Cluster

Posted by Peter Bukowinski <pm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ashu,