Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Xie, Sean" <Se...@finra.org> on 2017/07/08 04:35:51 UTC

CDCR - how to deal with the transaction log files

Once enabled CDCR, update log stores an unlimited number of entries. This is causing the tlog folder getting bigger and bigger, as well as the open files are growing. How can one reduce the number of open files and also to reduce the tlog files? If it’s not taken care properly, sooner or later the log files size and open file count will exceed the limits.

Thanks
Sean

Confidentiality Notice::  This email, including attachments, may include non-public, proprietary, confidential or legally privileged information.  If you are not an intended recipient or an authorized agent of an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of the information contained in or transmitted with this e-mail is unauthorized and strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and permanently delete this e-mail, its attachments, and any copies of it immediately.  You should not retain, copy or use this e-mail or any attachment for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of the contents to any other person. Thank you.

Re: CDCR - how to deal with the transaction log files

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
This should not be the case if you are actively sending updates to the
target cluster. The tlog is used to store unsent updates, so if the
connection is broken for some time, the target cluster will have a
chance to catch up.

If you don't have the remote DC online and do not intend to bring it
online soon, you should turn CDCR off.

Best,
Erick

Posted by Susheel Kumar <su...@gmail.com>.
I just voted for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-11069 to get it
resolved, as we are discussing to start using CDCR soon.

Posted by Varun Thacker <va...@vthacker.in>.

Posted by jmyatt <jm...@wayfair.com>.

Posted by "Xie, Sean" <Se...@finra.org>.
Try run second data import or any other indexing jobs after the replication of the first data import is completed.

My observation is during the replication period (when there is docs in queue), tlog clean up will not triggered. So when queue is 0, and submit second batch and monitor the queue and tlogs again.

-- Thank you
Sean

From: jmyatt <jm...@wayfair.com>>
Date: Wednesday, Jul 12, 2017, 6:58 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org <so...@lucene.apache.org>>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: CDCR - how to deal with the transaction log files

glad to hear you found your solution!  I have been combing over this post and
others on this discussion board many times and have tried so many tweaks to
configuration, order of steps, etc, all with absolutely no success in
getting the Source cluster tlogs to delete.  So incredibly frustrating.  If
anyone has other pearls of wisdom I'd love some advice.  Quick hits on what
I've tried:

- solrconfig exactly like Sean's (target and source respectively) expect no
autoSoftCommit
- I am also calling cdcr?action=DISABLEBUFFER (on source as well as on
target) explicitly before starting since the config setting of
defaultState=disabled doesn't seem to work
- when I create the collection on source first, I get the warning "The log
reader for target collection {collection name} is not initialised".  When I
reverse the order (create the collection on target first), no such warning
- tlogs replicate as expected, hard commits on both target and source cause
tlogs to rollover, etc - all of that works as expected
- action=QUEUES on source reflects the queueSize accurately.  Also *always*
shows updateLogSynchronizer state as "stopped"
- action=LASTPROCESSEDVERSION on both source and target always seems correct
(I don't see the -1 that Sean mentioned).
- I'm creating new collections every time and running full data imports that
take 5-10 minutes. Again, all data replication, log rollover, and autocommit
activity seems to work as expected, and logs on target are deleted.  It's
just those pesky source tlogs I can't get to delete.

Posted by "Xie, Sean" <Se...@finra.org>.
You don't need to start cdcr on target cluster. Other steps are exactly what I did. After disable buffer on both target and source, the tlog files are purged according to the specs.

-- Thank you
Sean

From: Patrick Hoeffel <pa...@polarisalpha.com>>
Date: Friday, Jul 28, 2017, 4:01 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org <so...@lucene.apache.org>>
Cc: jmyatt@wayfair.com <jm...@wayfair.com>>

Amrit,

Problem solved! My biggest mistake was in my SOURCE-side configuration. The zkHost field needed the entire zkHost string, including the CHROOT indicator. I suppose that should have been obvious to me, but the examples only showed the IP Address of the target ZK, and I made a poor assumption.

  <!-- CORRECT CDCR CONFIG SECTION -->
  <requestHandler name="/cdcr" class="solr.CdcrRequestHandler">
  <lst name="replica">
    <str name="zkHost">10.161.0.7:2181,10.161.0.6:2181,10.161.0.5:2181/chroot/solr</str>
    <str name="source">ks_v1</str>
    <str name="target">ks_v1</str>
  </lst>

  <!-- MY ORIGINAL INCORRECT CDCR CONFIG SECTION -->
  <requestHandler name="/cdcr" class="solr.CdcrRequestHandler">
  <lst name="replica">
    <str name="zkHost">10.161.0.7:2181</str>     <=== Problem was here.
    <str name="source">ks_v1</str>
    <str name="target">ks_v1</str>
  </lst>

After that, I just made sure I did this:
1. Stop all Solr nodes at both SOURCE and TARGET.
2. $ rm -rf $SOLR_HOME/server/solr/collection_name/data/tlog/*.*
3. On the TARGET:
        a. $ collection/cdcr?action=DISABLEBUFFER
        b. $ collection/cdcr?action=START

4. On the Source:
        a. $ collection/cdcr?action=DISABLEBUFFER
        b. $ collection/cdcr?action=START

At this point any existing data in the SOURCE collection started flowing into the TARGET collection, and it has remained congruent ever since.

Thanks,

Patrick Hoeffel

Senior Software Engineer
(Direct)  719-452-7371