Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2004/06/19 09:01:14 UTC

FrontPage Menu

Gang,
I am trying to break apart the images that Aaron provided, so that one can
click straight on it, and get there. (I don't like image maps).

I am toying with the idea that items are populated from the bottom towards the
top; which can be seen at;
http://www.apache.org/~niclas/docs/index.html

Any comments on that???

Niclas

P.S.  Breaking it out to separate tables, makes it hard to get them pixel
perfect in 'height' for all browsers. I will try to tackle that a bit
later...

--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: FrontPage Menu

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 20 June 2004 05:36, J Aaron Farr wrote:
> Using the GPL or LGPL for images (and even documentation) is a really
> odd way of doing things, so the implications are not clear.  Most likely
> it means that we have to supply the SVG source (not a problem) and if we
> make any changes to the SVG images, then those changes are under the
> LGPL.

I agree that this is somewhat odd.
But I also recognize decrees about "No (L)GPL on ASF infrastructure", from the
legal guys.
Ok, so let's see what the response from legal is...

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: FrontPage Menu

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 20 June 2004 12:37, Andreas Oberhack wrote:

> Studio?

We are more or less in agreement that a Product needs;
 * Code
 * Docs
 * Tests
 * Community support

Studio is on the way to get there, but not yet :o(
I know we have been talking about this for 'months' already.

The point about the FrontPage is not to oversell. If it is not 'released' it
shouldn't be up there, but at the same time we need to make it fairly easy to
add new items, when the day come.

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: FrontPage Menu

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Andreas Oberhack wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>

>>Hopefully this will turn out to be a non-issue.  In the meantime could
>>you generate the individual icons for the following structure ....
>>
>>    CENTRAL
>>    * Tutorials
>>    * Mailing Lists & Issue Tracking
>>    * Downloads
>>    * Tools
>>
>>    PRODUCTS
>>    * Merlin Runtime
>>
>>    PLANET
>>    * Component Library
>>    * Facilities
>>

> Studio?

Andreas:

There is a placeholder under Central / Avalon Laboratory / Studio.  Main
issue is content - there isn't any.  Do you have anything over and above
what is in svn that you can commit?  I'll be ripping though the site
this afternoon getting things finalized.

Cheers, Steve.

RE: FrontPage Menu

Posted by Andreas Oberhack <de...@softwarefabrik.biz>.
Hi Steven,

> Hopefully this will turn out to be a non-issue.  In the meantime could
> you generate the individual icons for the following structure ....
>
>     CENTRAL
>     * Tutorials
>     * Mailing Lists & Issue Tracking
>     * Downloads
>     * Tools
>
>     PRODUCTS
>     * Merlin Runtime
>
>     PLANET
>     * Component Library
>     * Facilities

Studio?

Andreas

---

Re: FrontPage Menu

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
J Aaron Farr wrote:

> Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>>> Overall - size is too big (you guys must all be running 21" monitors).
>>

>> We have a much BIGGER problem. The icons are licensed under LGPL !
>>
>> I.e. can't be used.
>>
>> Anyone know of any freer icon libraries?
>>

> I sent a message to licensing a day or two ago about this.
>
> Using the GPL or LGPL for images (and even documentation) is a really
> odd way of doing things, so the implications are not clear.  Most likely
> it means that we have to supply the SVG source (not a problem) and if we
> make any changes to the SVG images, then those changes are under the
> LGPL.  However, I don't think using the images will cause a viral effect
> and make the whole site LGPL'd.
>
> Point of the story is that I think we are okay, but I'd like to hear
> back from licensing as well.

Hi Aaron!

Re: FrontPage Menu

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Saturday 19 June 2004 23:16, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>

>>>http://www.apache.org/~niclas/docs/index.html
>

>>Overall - size is too big (you guys must all be running 21" monitors).
>

> We have a much BIGGER problem. The icons are licensed under LGPL !
>
> I.e. can't be used.
>
> Anyone know of any freer icon libraries?

I sent a message to licensing a day or two ago about this.

Using the GPL or LGPL for images (and even documentation) is a really
odd way of doing things, so the implications are not clear.  Most likely
it means that we have to supply the SVG source (not a problem) and if we
make any changes to the SVG images, then those changes are under the
LGPL.  However, I don't think using the images will cause a viral effect
and make the whole site LGPL'd.

Point of the story is that I think we are okay, but I'd like to hear
back from licensing as well.

jaaron

Re: FrontPage Menu

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: FrontPage Menu

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Gang,
> I am trying to break apart the images that Aaron provided, so that one can
> click straight on it, and get there. (I don't like image maps).
>
> I am toying with the idea that items are populated from the bottom towards the
> top; which can be seen at;
> http://www.apache.org/~niclas/docs/index.html
>
> Any comments on that???

Overall - size is too big (you guys must all be running 21" monitors).
The overall width of the image set should be consitent with the text
borders which I think we can achived by using the same layout for
products as is used for central and planet.  I.e.

      PRODUCTS

   * Merlin Runtime
   * Merlin Studio
   * Merlin Discovery

Stephen.

Re: FrontPage Menu

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 19 June 2004 17:05, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> possibly even the source in vector format,
> which would render better than a down-scale.

I have located, downloaded, patched and tested to generate the Crystal icons
with Batik.

So, now we could discuss 'size'... I would suggest starting to look at the
most complex icon, and then generate it in many sizes and make a pick.

I'll look into that after my lunch cum dinner, now due...

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

Re: FrontPage Menu

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 19 June 2004 15:59, Andreas Oberhack wrote:
> If we scale down those icons a bit, would that be a problem for you?

Well, personally I think large is good, but I go with whatever the consensus
around here would be.
Secondly, don't scale first, because IIANM the KDE project would have
different sizes already, and possibly even the source in vector format, which
would render better than a down-scale.

> Did you charge batteries? ;-)

Just for the record, I consume food and not electricity. Primarily an ordinary
carbon unit.  :-D

Cheers
Niclas
--
   +------//-------------------+
  / http://www.bali.ac        /

RE: FrontPage Menu

Posted by Andreas Oberhack <de...@softwarefabrik.biz>.
Cool Niclas!!

If we scale down those icons a bit, would that be a problem for you?

In my feeling, the icons and the fonts are to big. I will play around a
bit here.

Did you charge batteries? ;-)

Andreas

---