Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Kurtis Williams <kw...@mshare.net> on 2005/05/02 19:04:18 UTC

Convertor for FormTable - When will it be fixed?

There's a bug with the Converter property of the contrib:FormTable.  In
the JWC, the Convertor property on the delegated TableRow component is
set up as a <binding> rather than an <inherited-binding>.  What that
means is that the Convertor is not used by the Table.

This is a huge problem if you're using a Hibernate (or other ORM)
collection as the source because rather than using a nice small PK value
like an Integer, you end up with a huge detached object graph serialized
into your page.

The fix for this is obscenely easy and I submitted the patch months ago.
Will this be addressed in Tapestry 3.1 (4.0) or is there a reason that
it's set up the way it is?

(And while you're at it, deprecated the mis-spelling - it's "Converter"
not "Convertor" unless you meant to invent a new word, in which case
it's OK.  Confusing, but OK.)

Re: Convertor for FormTable - When will it be fixed?

Posted by Mind Bridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
> There's a bug with the Converter property of the contrib:FormTable.  In
> the JWC, the Convertor property on the delegated TableRow component is
> set up as a <binding> rather than an <inherited-binding>.  What that
> means is that the Convertor is not used by the Table.

I am certain that I have done this in the past, but I will check whether it
is checked in 4.0.
I am reworking Table anyway to take advantage of HiveMind (you can specify
the column class to be used for example, FormTable is a part of it now,
etc), so I will ensure that this works ok now.
See my post on the 'For' component in tapestry-dev -- Table will have
similar facilities.

> (And while you're at it, deprecated the mis-spelling - it's "Converter"
> not "Convertor" unless you meant to invent a new word, in which case
> it's OK.  Confusing, but OK.)

:)
I have seen quite a number of native speakers spell it that way, and then
there is a dictionary.com entry, but I agree, 'converter' is better.

-mb