Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Garret Wilson <ga...@globalmentor.com> on 2004/09/07 03:19:29 UTC

Re: missing resource bundle shouldn't be---solved

QM wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 02:55:13PM -0700, Garret Wilson wrote:
> : I was planning on using the same set of libraries for multiple web
> : apps---the jar in question had more than just servlets for a single web app.
>
> There's no need to do this, really.  Webapps are supposed to be
> self-contained.  My inner C++ developer says I should share common code,
> similar to shared libraries; but C and C++ != Java. =)  I tend to leave
> common/lib/ alone, so only the Tomcat-provided JARs exist there.

I just downloaded an electronic copy of _Professional Apache Tomcat 5_,
which has a wonderful "Chapter 9: Class Loaders." It turns out that
there's one classloader for common/lib and common/classes, and another
for shared/lib and shared/classes. My common routines apparently should
go into the latter pair---the former pair are intended for API libraries
like jsp-api.jar and jsf-api.jar.

My servlets, though, should go in WEB-INF/lib and
WEB-INF/classes---which use yet another classloader, the same one used
by JSPs. I transferred my servlet jar to WEB-INF/lib, and everything
worked like a charm.

I know that I reported that I had already tried this. I thought I did.
Then again, there's so many /lib directories running around that maybe I
picked the wrong one when I was trying 1,001 possible solutions.

Thanks so much for your and George's feedback, pointing me in the right
direction. I definitely also recommend _Professional Apache Tomcat 5_.

Cheers,

Garret