Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Kaxil Naik <ka...@apache.org> on 2020/09/25 19:08:59 UTC

[Meeting Notes] Airflow 2.0 Dev Call #5 - 21 Sep 2020

Hi all,

I have created a document to summarize the discussion from our dev call for
Airflow 2.0 this Monday. Apologies for the delay in publishing the Meeting
Notes.

Thank you all who joined the call.

*Doc Link*:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Meeting+Notes#MeetingNotes-#5:21Sep2020

To all those who attended, can you please double-check and add if I have
missed anything?

To all those who didn't join, if you disagree to anything in
the Summary please voice your opinion.

Also please let me know if someone wants to include an item in Next call's
Agenda.

Including the Summary here too (might potentially break formatting):

*Key Decisions*

   - *API*
      - Progress:
         - Project Board: https://github.com/apache/airflow/projects/1
            - The issues labelled with "Enhancement" are not a requirement
            for 2.0
         - Endpoints:
            - Task Instance Endpoint
            <https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/9597> is WIP, all the
            other endpoints have been implemented.
         - Permissions Model:
            - PR <https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/10594> has been
            merged.
            - The next piece of work to be done is migrating existing Views
            to use resource-based permissions. (Github issue
            <https://github.com/apache/airflow/issues/10469>). This is
            mainly for standardizing the permissions model across API and UI.
         - *Providers*
      - Vote on AIP-8 took place on the mailing list
      <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rcd63bbe62a618c4547bd00b1c1d14dc329cfe1c09e4795571be28cb3%40%3Cdev.airflow.apache.org%3E>
      .
      - There is an ongoing discussion on the same thread about SemVer vs
      CalVer for the Providers package.
         - The people involved on the call were *leaning towards SemVer* to
         make a clear distinction about a breaking release. This will
potentially
         increase the work on release managers but some automation
around releasing
         (similar to backport providers) and automation around the
generation of the
         changelog for the providers would make the effort less painful.
      - *Version Per Provide: *Each Providers package would have a separate
      versioning i.e. we might release "google-providers 3.1" and
      "amazon-providers" 3.7 at the same time but the versioning for a
particular
      provider will be independent of other providers.
   - *DEV*
   - Would be good to have a release policy on when we can deprecate a
      feature, our release cadence. A good example is
      https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.1/internals/release-process/#release-cadence
   - *SubDag Deprecation*
      - There is a mailing list thread
      <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ra52746f9c8274469d343b5f0251199de776e75ab75ded6830886fb6a%40%3Cdev.airflow.apache.org%3E>
on
      whether or not we want to deprecate SubDags in favor of Taskgroups, the
      majority on the call agreed that we *should not deprecate the Subdags
      yet* and wait till people have used TaskGroups and it has feature
      parity with SubDags.
      - However, we should *clearly recommend using TaskGroups compared to
      SubDags* in our docs and state limitations of the SubDags.
   - *Helm Chart Release*
      - Deferred until 2.0 is out
      - Will be available to use from the source code of Airflow on Github
      but the first official release of the Helm chart will only happen after
      Airflow 2.0
   - *Docs*
      - Mailing list thread
      <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rc6331d0bf97d91dc88853c992513f4e886f113c1cff030876996859e%40%3Cdev.airflow.apache.org%3E>
      get some feedback has been created and cross-posted across Slack and
      Twitter. Once we have enough feedback, Kaxil will create Github
issues for
      them so that anyone willing to help on it can start working on it.
      - A separate section for Upgrading to 2.0 would be ideal, can be a
      duplicate of Updating.md but with a better structure and more organized.
   - *UI Changes*
      - *Github Issue: *https://github.com/apache/airflow/issues/10953
      - There are some proposals from Ryan for the UI changes for which he
      has created some PRs (links below) and in the process of
creating few more.
         - Task Instance Modal UX Enhancements · Issue #10944 ·
         apache/airflow <https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/10944>
         - Replace JS package toggle w/ pure CSS solution #11035
         <https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/11035>
         - Task Instance header/navigation pattern UX cleanup
         <https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/11089> – Suggestions /
         VOTE needed here if anyone has strong opinions
      - *Scheduler HA*
      - *Reminder*: A draft PR for Scheduler HA
      <https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/10956> is available for
      review. It would be good to get some more feedback from the
wider community
      with their own DEV setup if possible.
   - *Process*
      - Any new PRs would continue to be merged until we complete the items
      for 2.0 and release alphas.
   - *NOTE: *The Timeline shown on the Planning page
   <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Airflow+2.0+-+Planning>
will
   be revisited every week on the Dev Call and updated if needed based on the
   progress towards the major features of Airflow 2.0

Regards,
Kaxil

Re: [Meeting Notes] Airflow 2.0 Dev Call #5 - 21 Sep 2020

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.
Sure, yeah I will add this to today's agenda and send a reminder email for
today's meeting in a bit.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jarek,