Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Mark <st...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/04 02:26:04 UTC

Metastore question

Trying to make sure I understand this correctly. All databases and tables are stored in hive.metastore.warehouse.dir but the actual metadata for the database and tables (columns, types, partitions, etc) are stored in the hive database (ie.. mysql)?

Is that correct?

Re: Metastore question

Posted by Dean Wampler <de...@thinkbiganalytics.com>.
Yes, the property name is misleading. The DATA is stored under that
directory (for managed tables, as opposed to external tables where you
explicit tell Hive the location). The METADATA is stored in MySQL (or other
database).

--
*Dean Wampler, Ph.D.*
thinkbiganalytics.com