Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com> on 2015/12/16 18:55:16 UTC

[VOTE] Avro release 1.8.0 (rc1)

I have created a new candidate build for Avro release 1.8.0 following the
rc0 vote in August that didn't pass due to licensing/notice issues. (Thanks
to Ryan and Sean for fixing them!)

The changes are listed at:
http://s.apache.org/avro180

The release artifacts can be found here:
*https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/avro/avro-1.8.0-rc1/
<https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/avro/avro-1.8.0-rc1/>*

The tag corresponding to this release candidate is
*http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avro/tags/release-1.8.0-rc1/
<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avro/tags/release-1.8.0-rc1/>*

You can find the KEYS file here:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/avro/KEYS

The Maven staging repository is at:
*https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheavro-1003
<https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheavro-1003>*

Please download, verify, and test. This is the first release that has been
built using Docker, so please pay extra attention to the languages you are
interested in. Thanks in advance for voting!

Cheers,
Tom

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.8.0 (rc1)

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
+1

I checked signatures, checksums, RAT, SVN source tag. I also tried using
the Maven artifacts in another project and its tests passed.

Tom

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.8.0 (rc1)

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com>.
+1

* All tests pass in docker
* Checked that JS tests are run, npm install works
* Signatures, sha1 sums, md5 sums are all good
* License documentation checked out recently

Thanks for getting this out, Tom! Just under the wire for a 2015 release. :)

rb

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.8.0 (rc1)

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
Closing the vote. I'll roll another release in the new year.

Tom

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.8.0 (rc1)

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
-1 (non-binding)

--
Sean

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.8.0 (rc1)

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
@Martin: Isn't there a unit test in the ruby part that validates this?

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 7:53 PM, Martin Kleppmann <ma...@kleppmann.com>
wrote:

> There is a problem with the Ruby gem artifact. I tried installing it in a
> Ruby project using Avro; when the gem is loaded, it fails with the error:
>
> kernel_require.rb:54:in `require': cannot load such file --
> avro/schema_normalization (LoadError)
>
> It seems that the following two files, which are present in the source,
> are missing from the gem file:
>
> lang/ruby/lib/avro/schema_normalization.rb
> lang/ruby/test/case_finder.rb
>
> I think those file paths need to be added to lang/ruby/Manifest so that
> they get included in the gem build process.
>
> Martin
>
> > On 18 Dec 2015, at 11:36, Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl> wrote:
> >
> > +1
> > * Set the Maven staging as a repo on my system.
> > * Updated several of my projects that rely heavily on AVRO to use the
> 1.8.0
> > version.
> > * Rebuild and ran all the unit tests on those projects; all passed
> without
> > incident
> >

> > On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Tom White <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I have created a new candidate build for Avro release 1.8.0 following
> the
> >> rc0 vote in August that didn't pass due to licensing/notice issues.
> (Thanks
> >> to Ryan and Sean for fixing them!)
> >>
> >> The changes are listed at:
> >> http://s.apache.org/avro180
> >>
> >> The release artifacts can be found here:
> >> *https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/avro/avro-1.8.0-rc1/
> >> <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/avro/avro-1.8.0-rc1/>*
> >>
> >> The tag corresponding to this release candidate is
> >> *http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avro/tags/release-1.8.0-rc1/
> >> <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avro/tags/release-1.8.0-rc1/>*
> >>
> >> You can find the KEYS file here:
> >> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/avro/KEYS
> >>
> >> The Maven staging repository is at:
> >> *https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheavro-1003
> >> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheavro-1003
> >*
> >>
> >> Please download, verify, and test. This is the first release that has
> been
> >> built using Docker, so please pay extra attention to the languages you
> are
> >> interested in. Thanks in advance for voting!
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Tom
> >>

> > --
> > Best regards / Met vriendelijke groeten,
> >
> > Niels Basjes

Niels Basjes

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.8.0 (rc1)

Posted by Martin Kleppmann <ma...@kleppmann.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.8.0 (rc1)

Posted by Niels Basjes <Ni...@basjes.nl>.
+1
* Set the Maven staging as a repo on my system.
* Updated several of my projects that rely heavily on AVRO to use the 1.8.0
version.
* Rebuild and ran all the unit tests on those projects; all passed without
incident

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 6:55 PM, Tom White <to...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> I have created a new candidate build for Avro release 1.8.0 following the
> rc0 vote in August that didn't pass due to licensing/notice issues. (Thanks
> to Ryan and Sean for fixing them!)
>
> The changes are listed at:
> http://s.apache.org/avro180
>
> The release artifacts can be found here:
> *https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/avro/avro-1.8.0-rc1/
> <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/avro/avro-1.8.0-rc1/>*
>
> The tag corresponding to this release candidate is
> *http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avro/tags/release-1.8.0-rc1/
> <http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/avro/tags/release-1.8.0-rc1/>*
>
> You can find the KEYS file here:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/avro/KEYS
>
> The Maven staging repository is at:
> *https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheavro-1003
> <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheavro-1003>*
>
> Please download, verify, and test. This is the first release that has been
> built using Docker, so please pay extra attention to the languages you are
> interested in. Thanks in advance for voting!
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

Niels Basjes

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.8.0 (rc1)

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
I intended it to be the usual minimum of 72 hours - so by Monday. However,
if folks think that we need to extend it due to the holiday period, then we
can do that.

Tom

Re: [VOTE] Avro release 1.8.0 (rc1)

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.