Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Richard N. Fogle" <ri...@neosaint.org> on 2007/09/28 19:29:05 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_authnz_ldap and env vars?

Is there a way to acquire the group via code, like a server
environment variable (e.g., like REMOTE_USER) of the group authorized
by a require ldap-group (or any group)?  This would be extremely
helpful in applications where a page would have features depending on
the access level of the user.  Currently we have to query the LDAP(AD
in this case) to get the group and set it in an environment
variable.  It seems like this is double work, we'd like to dedicate
the authentication/authorization handling to apache.  Something like
a REMOTE_GROUP which would contain an LDAP attribute we could
specify.  Using apache 2.2 and active directory 2000.

Rich

Re: [users@httpd] mod_authnz_ldap and env vars?

Posted by Richard Fogle <ri...@neosaint.org>.
James,

Thanks for the response, I quite agree this is something that I would
logically expect to be included.  Would you mind posting your patch?
Even if it doesn't get merged I'm sure I'm not the only one who needs
to know this information.  It makes little sense to have all these
tables contain usernames/passwords/group auth while we have a
perfectly capable active directory infrastructure we can draw upon.
Unfortunately, without the capability to see the groups the user logs
in under we would have to resort to writing all this into the
application, so we'd replace one type of code with another type of
auth code instead of pushing it on the web server where (I believe)
it belongs.

Posted by James Devenish <j-...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Hi Richard,