Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Marsh David W Maj AFIT/ENG <Da...@afit.edu> on 2006/01/25 20:58:55 UTC

build.xml Change Required?

Note for whoever creates the build.xml scripts:

This is my first time building the system from source.  After
downloading and unzipping (to my XP box) the source code from
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi, installing Subversion via
http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html, and following the
directions at http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/building.html, the
ant build failed when it got to jasper.  I got it to work by changing
line 1419 of ${tomcat.source}/build/build.xml from

1418    <!-- tomcat jasper source -->
1419    <copy todir="${tomcat.dist}/src/${jasper.project}">

1418    <!-- tomcat jasper source -->
1419    <copy todir="${tomcat.dist}/src/${jasper.project}/jasper2">

I don't know the implications of this change yet, but it was the only
solution I found that built the whole system.

Slightly different topic:
I recommend a short "Download and install SVN" section be added just
before the "Building Tomcat" section of
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/building.html.  It's obvious now
that I understand what's going on, but this page seems to be meant for
those who don't really know how it all works yet.

David