Posted to dev@groovy.apache.org by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk> on 2016/12/05 06:37:56 UTC

Groovy Build

I think the build for Groovy has changed since I last really looked at
it. Just in case someone knows the answer offhand (to save me doing the
research :-)

The build still distinguishes indy and non-indy build, presumably for
JDK7 reasons. Is indy the default build for JDK8? I see there is a
performance mode of the indy build, is this the default; if not how to
set it to be the built one?

Is there a way of building and installing just the fastest JDK8+ build
of Groovy?

(Currently I do a build and then fiddle with all the non-indy and indy
jars in the local installation, and also copy the latest JDK8 GPars in,
with a shell script obviously. I am wondering if there is a way of
configuring the install and installGroovy tasks to avoid fiddling with
Groovy jars.)

--
Russel.

Re: Groovy Build

Posted by Russel Winder <ru...@winder.org.uk>.
On Sun, 2016-12-11 at 10:51 +0100, Jochen Theodorou wrote:
> […]
>
> does install install both? otherwise you can control it using -P
> indy=true when using gradle

I have no idea, I really should find out. :-)

> But in general... the non-indy build does contain indy, it just is
> not
> build with indy. I doubt you will notice a big difference. You still
> have to enable indy in both versions

It is my intention in the new year to finish creating GPars 2.0, mostly
by just ripping out everything to do with ParallelArray, along with all
the APIs directly related to it, leaving just the dataflow, actor,
active object, agent, etc. stuff. I.e keep everything of GPars except
the bits that have been made redundant by Java Streams.

GPars 2.0 will be JDK8 and later only, which seems fair enough as no-
one should really be using anything earlier, except on Android – and I
suspect no-one is using GPars on Android.

So my question behind the build question is which builds of Groovy
should I be testing GPars on, and is there a way of shipping a new
GPars 2.0 for Groovy on JDK8 and GPars 1.3 for Groovy on earlier JDKs.

--
Russel.

Re: Groovy Build

Posted by Jochen Theodorou <bl...@gmx.org>.
On 05.12.2016 07:37, Russel Winder wrote:
> I think the build for Groovy has changed since I last really looked at
> it. Just in case someone knows the answer offhand (to save me doing the
> research :-)

since nobody bothered to answer so far.

> The build still distinguishes indy and non-indy build, presumably for
> JDK7 reasons.

yes

> Is indy the default build for JDK8?

no.

> I see there is a
> performance mode of the indy build, is this the default; if not how to
> set it to be the built one?

performance mode? There is a module of that name, but that is for
performance tests

> Is there a way of building and installing just the fastest JDK8+ build
> of Groovy?

nope, there was no need so far to ship with only indy or non-indy
besides just using the jars

> (Currently I do a build and then fiddle with all the non-indy and indy
> jars in the local installation, and also copy the latest JDK8 GPars in,
> with a shell script obviously. I am wondering if there is a way of
> configuring the install and installGroovy tasks to avoid fiddling with
> Groovy jars.)

does install install both? otherwise you can control it using -P
indy=true when using gradle

But in general... the non-indy build does contain indy, it just is not
build with indy. I doubt you will notice a big difference. You still
have to enable indy in both versions

bye Jochen