Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com> on 2012/11/01 00:42:59 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] CloudStack Blog and Blogging

On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net> wrote:
> As of a while ago, we have a blog on Apache Blogs here:
>
> blogs.apache.org/cloudstack
>
> Most of the Apache blogs are used sparingly, and to announce releases,
> etc. (See blogs.apache.org for other examples.)
>
> This is also how I envisioned us using the Apache blog, but during the
> meeting it was brought up whether we should be encouraging other folks
> to post to the Apache blog on a wider array of topics.
>
> The question is, how are *we* going to use this blog?
>
> - As an "official voice" of the project for major announcements, etc.
> - The above + individual committers blogging there with more informal
>   topics, etc.?
>
> I do want to see folks in the project being active and blogging, it's
> merely a question of whether it's done on personal blogs + pushed to
> things like Planet Apache + Planet CloudStack (when that's up) or
> whether we are comfortable using the blog for more individual posts.
>
> While there's some disagreement in how this particular platform should
> be used, I don't think there's any disagreement that the project does
> need to have many active voices rather than one or two. I hope that
> *all* contributors/committers are thinking a bit about how to promote
> CloudStack around release time, and the rest of the time. I spoke at a
> conference this weekend about CloudStack and received some interest from
> more than a few people who were totally unaware of CloudsStack until
> they caught the talk...
>
> Best,
>
> Joe
> --
> Joe Brockmeier
> Twitter: @jzb
> http://dissociatedpress.net/

IMO, the project blog should be more of a "voice of the project" vs.
an aggregation of personal blog entries.  I'd see the planet as being
that aggregation.  Since most blogging platforms are free these days,
I don't think that there's any issue with asking folks to use a
personal site as their way of contributing content to the project's
collective PR process.

-chip