Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/31 23:53:08 UTC

'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

I successfully built and installed subversion 1.6.0 on two x86 hosts,
one running Centos 5.2 and one running Fedora 7.  On both hosts, make
check was apparently successful (all successful or XFAIL).

However, the x86_64 host running Centos 5.2 had any failures (although
the installation seems to work for sysadmin upgrade, and svn up on at
least one working directory).

I can attach the test log if there is interest.

Thanks.

-Tom

Tom Browder
Niceville, Florida
USA

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Hyrum K. Wright
> <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>> It sounds like you have a repository which isn't employing shards, and
>> therefore can't be packed.
>
> Okay, I thought it was automatic with newer subversion versions.

I just searched the latest svn book and find nothing on how to set up
shards.  I created my repos with svn 1.5 which is supposed to use
shards.  There is mention of a Python shard tool to create a sharded
system but it seems to be broken..

-Tom

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
<hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> It sounds like you have a repository which isn't employing shards, and
> therefore can't be packed.

Okay, I thought it was automatic with newer subversion versions.

Thanks, Hyrum.

-Tom

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
On Apr 1, 2009, at 3:46 PM, Tom Browder wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 12:23 PM, Hyrum K. Wright
> <hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
>>> FYI, on the system I upgraded to 1.6.0 on that had 'make check'
>>> failures (my main svn repo site) I just tried an 'svnadmin pack
>>> repo'
>>> on three repos of sizes 187M, 23M, and 270M and got no response at
>>> all.
>>
>> Do you have any completed shards in these repositories?  What is
>> the output
>
> Hm, I don't know how to find out about shards--I always assumed they
> are artifacts of the subversion file system that aren't visible in
> user space.
>
>> of 'ls $REPOS_PATH/db/revs'?
>
> I get a list of 4454 revision numbers.

It sounds like you have a repository which isn't employing shards, and
therefore can't be packed.

-Hyrum

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
On Apr 1, 2009, at 7:13 AM, Tom Browder wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

output of 'ls $REPOS_PATH/db/revs'?

-Hyrum

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 6:52 AM, Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl> wrote:

Now I'm going to check the other server (x86, 'make check' successful)
with some repos.

-Tom

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Hyrum K. Wright
<hy...@mail.utexas.edu> wrote:
> [...]

Hm, can you suggest a place?  I don't have such a place.

-Tom

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.
On Apr 1, 2009, at 6:52 AM, Tom Browder wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl> wrote:

Whoa.  That looks like some gross misconfiguration or something.

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 7:22 AM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
> This is your problem:
>
> /disk3/extsrc/subversion-1.6.0-pkgs/subversion-1.6.0/subversion/tests/libsvn_fs/
> .libs/lt-fs-test: symbol lookup error:
> /disk3/extsrc/subversion-1.6.0-pkgs/subversion-1.6.0/subversion/libsvn_subr/.libs/libsvn_subr-1.so.0: undefined symbol: apr_hash_clear
>
> Your Subversion binaries and libraries are not picking up the right
> libraries they depend on. Check them with ldd.
>
> You should deinstall any prevision Subversion libraries you might
> have installed before compiling Subversion 1.6.0.
>
> And please make sure you do not have several versions of APR lying
> around on your system that the linker might pick up errornously
> at link time *or* run time.
>
> People compiling their own builds run into this problem quite frequently
> because of bugs in libtool. We cannot fix it, but some of us (e.g. me)
> are getting increasingly annoyed by it.

Stefan, thanks for your help--I'll take your advice.

Isn't that something that configure could detect with the right test?

-Tom

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 10:11 AM, Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 09:47:37AM -0500, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 2, 2009, at 7:22 AM, Stefan Sperling wrote:
>>> People compiling their own builds run into this problem quite
>>> frequently
>>> because of bugs in libtool. We cannot fix it, but some of us (e.g. me)
>>> are getting increasingly annoyed by it.
>>
>> Heh.  I had a user ask me just the other day about "why aren't the
>> subversion libraries versioned so we can have multiple versions (i.e.,
>> 1.5.6 and 1.6.0) installed side-by-side?"  I really didn't have a good
>> answer, but a brain damaged libtool sounds like it's something in the
>> right direction.
>
> The libtool documentation explains how to do this.
> But we don't do it. I don't know the reason why we don't do it.
> I asked someone about it before but I don't remember the answer I got.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html#Updating-version-info

I'm just about to report success on x86_64.  By explicitly using the
--with-apr=  and --with-apr-util args (and without neon or serf) I got
good tests.  Now I'm trying to add neon back in so I have a good
server and client (if I read INSTALL correctly).

I believe there is a bug in subversion's configure for x86_64.  The
/usr/bin/apr-1-config and /usr/bin/apu-1-config scripts were there
but, fo some reason, were not found.  Likewise, when the tests were
failing, the libraries being used (checking ldd) appeared to be the
ones built in the subversion sub-directories, but they couldn't find
the apr_hash_clear which was there.

Still hunting...

-Tom

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 09:47:37AM -0500, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:

> On Apr 2, 2009, at 7:22 AM, Stefan Sperling wrote:
>> People compiling their own builds run into this problem quite
>> frequently
>> because of bugs in libtool. We cannot fix it, but some of us (e.g. me)
>> are getting increasingly annoyed by it.
>
> Heh.  I had a user ask me just the other day about "why aren't the
> subversion libraries versioned so we can have multiple versions (i.e.,
> 1.5.6 and 1.6.0) installed side-by-side?"  I really didn't have a good
> answer, but a brain damaged libtool sounds like it's something in the
> right direction.

The libtool documentation explains how to do this.
But we don't do it. I don't know the reason why we don't do it.
I asked someone about it before but I don't remember the answer I got.

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html#Updating-version-info

Stefan

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by "Hyrum K. Wright" <hy...@mail.utexas.edu>.

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 01:22:39PM +0100, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 06:15:18AM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
> >
> > I have attached the tests.log as compressed by bzip2.  I hope someone
> > can find an obvious problem.  I have done a clean build and 'make
> > check' again with the same results.
>
> This is your problem:
>
> /disk3/extsrc/subversion-1.6.0-pkgs/subversion-1.6.0/subversion/tests/libsvn_fs/
> .libs/lt-fs-test: symbol lookup error:
> /disk3/extsrc/subversion-1.6.0-pkgs/subversion-1.6.0/subversion/libsvn_subr/.libs/libsvn_subr-1.so.0: undefined symbol: apr_hash_clear
>
> Your Subversion binaries and libraries are not picking up the right
> libraries they depend on. Check them with ldd.
>
> You should deinstall any prevision Subversion libraries you might

I meant to say 'previous', sorry if this was confusing.
Subversion does not have 'vision' yet :)

Stefan

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Apr 02, 2009 at 06:15:18AM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:

> I have attached the tests.log as compressed by bzip2.  I hope someone
> can find an obvious problem.  I have done a clean build and 'make
> check' again with the same results.

This is your problem:

/disk3/extsrc/subversion-1.6.0-pkgs/subversion-1.6.0/subversion/tests/libsvn_fs/
.libs/lt-fs-test: symbol lookup error:
/disk3/extsrc/subversion-1.6.0-pkgs/subversion-1.6.0/subversion/libsvn_subr/.libs/libsvn_subr-1.so.0: undefined symbol: apr_hash_clear

Your Subversion binaries and libraries are not picking up the right
libraries they depend on. Check them with ldd.

You should deinstall any prevision Subversion libraries you might
have installed before compiling Subversion 1.6.0.

And please make sure you do not have several versions of APR lying
around on your system that the linker might pick up errornously
at link time *or* run time.

People compiling their own builds run into this problem quite frequently
because of bugs in libtool. We cannot fix it, but some of us (e.g. me)
are getting increasingly annoyed by it.

Hope this helps,
Stefan

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.

I have attached the tests.log as compressed by bzip2.  I hope someone
can find an obvious problem.  I have done a clean build and 'make
check' again with the same results.

Hopefully yours,

-Tom

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
>> > Could you send the summary of which tests failed? (And maybe the details of
>> > the failed tests?).
>>
>> Bert, the short summary follows:
>>
>> Summary of test results:
>>   23 tests SKIPPED
>>   26 tests XFAILED
>>   714 tests FAILED
>> make: *** [check] Error 1
>>
>> I have attached a zipped copy of the stripped down stdoot/stderr with
>> just the skipped and failed tests.
>
> This isn't what people were looking for. The file tests.log is what
> was meant. Apparently you posted the output of the test run, it just
> says tests are failing but not why.

I know, Hyrum requested for me to put it somewhere on the internet
'cause it is too big to post here (actually, when zipped it's only 95
Kb, is that too large to attach?).  Any suggestions?

> Let me guess where the failures come from:
> Did you run out of disk space while running the tests?

No, there was at least 700 Gb of space available.  I also checked
permissions but that didn't seem to make a difference.

-Tom

Re: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:41 AM, Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl> wrote:

I will start working on stripping the log likewise, but it will take a
little longer.

Thanks,

-Tom

RE: 'make check' Failures, v 1.6.0, x86_64, Centos 5.2

Posted by Bert Huijben <rh...@sharpsvn.net>.

	Hi,

Could you send the summary of which tests failed? (And maybe the details of
the failed tests?).

The whole log file is several megabytes, so I wouldn't recommend sending
that to the list.

Thanks,
	Bert