Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Rainer Jung <rj...@apache.org> on 2006/07/03 18:39:38 UTC

mod_jk 1.2.16 release candidate: ready to test

Hi,

version 1.2.16 of the Apache Tomcat mod_jk web server connector has been
tagged. This version contains numerous bug fixes and some new
improvements over our last release 1.2.15. Please test and share your
experience.

If no critical bugs will be found, we will have a formal release vote
starting at Friday, July 7th.

The source distribution can be downloaded from:

http://tomcat.apache.org/dev/dist/

The updated documentation can be found at

http://tomcat.apache.org/dev/docs/tomcat-connectors-1.2.16/

Please see

http://tomcat.apache.org/dev/docs/tomcat-connectors-1.2.16/changelog.html

for a complete list of changes.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: mod_jk 1.2.16 test results

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Rainer Jung wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a result of 1) I propose to roll 1.2.17 as soon, as Mladen has done
> 4) (assuming it's just minor stuff).

Like said, lets postpone that for Monday.
The changes I made are mostly cosmetic, since I reverted
the reties patch. I need to make some testings
during the weekend.

You don't need to cut the 1.2.17 RC XX.
If there will be some problems with 1.2.17
we can go for 1.2.18, and simply note that
neither 1.2.16 or eventually 1.2.17 were not
released because of bugs found and fixed.

Lets persuade for a release that will give
us a time frame for a long time announced move
to the 1.3 branch (Aka JK3, with needed AJP
protocol fixes).

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: mod_jk 1.2.16 test results

Posted by Henri Gomez <he...@gmail.com>.
good idea, the 1.2.17 could be the release with iSeries fix

Re: mod_jk 1.2.16 test results

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

mod_jk 1.2.16 test results

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Hi,

the tests for mod_jk 1.2.16 had a couple of results, unfortunately with
one bad regression bug:

1) The status worker (aka jkmanager) had a bug, which resulted in double
locking and hanging when a user tried to change the important attributed
"disabled" or "stopped" (and also for the new one "distance"). The fix
was obvious, but I think this is a show-stopper for 1.2.16, since
jkmanager is really helpful, and one of the most interesting things is
to be able to change disabled/stopped. (Reported by Mohan2005)

2) Henri Gomez reported a problem on AS400 related to APR MUTEX. This is
not a regression, it already showed up for 1.2.15, but had never gotten
fixed. William already offered to discuss this and dev@apr, so I will
soon report the error there and I hope Henri will be able to give more
details if necessary. I don't think this is a showstopper, since it is
no regression. I added a fix (workaround).

3) Martin Kaemer reported a problem with SHELL detection during
configure when not using gmake. He was able to get it build nevertheles
by setting SHELL explicitely and using gmake. I'm not sure, if this is
really a mod_jk bug, but I will try to go deeper into it next week. Not
a showstopper.

4) Mladen Turk is adding some changes to the network connection
handling. He would need to comment on these by himself.

As a result of 1) I propose to roll 1.2.17 as soon, as Mladen has done
4) (assuming it's just minor stuff).

For the next feature release I will prepare the use of release
candidates, because I think then the naming will look more familiar to
users.

I'll let 1.2.17 out there for tests a short time (assuming, that not
many people will be retesting) and then start a release vote.

Comments on this?

Rainer

Re: mod_jk 1.2.16 release candidate: ready to test

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Rainer Jung wrote:

> If no critical bugs will be found, we will have a formal release vote
> starting at Friday, July 7th.

Out of curiousity, how is an existing bug a showstopper to releasing
this 1.2.16 candidate?  (The IBM platform quirk you just caught.)

I'd like to see this keep moving unless there is a regression.

The mantra of effective open source is release early, release often ;-)