Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Avinash Narayanan <av...@gmail.com> on 2012/03/28 10:16:06 UTC

SFTP file transfer for large files using flex

Hi All,

I know this community is meant for future development of Apache Flex but
I'm a little lost here. I need to upload ~2Gb file from my local machine to
a url via an air app using sftp. problem is we don't have sftp lib
available.

Also, I'm confused as to why in forums it says the flash player needs to
take the entire file into memory before loading it but I don't see any
memory increase in my task manager (using the fileReference class).

Another thing I wanted to know is how best to split up the file into chunks
for multi-part loading? Any help in any of these areas will be supremely
helpful!

I've already seen the following links

http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=181895
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/631103
http://blog.ansuz.nl/index.php/2011/02/11/flex-ftp-abort/
http://maliboo.pl/projects/FlexFTP/
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/245294
http://blog.flexexamples.com/2007/09/21/uploading-files-in-flex-using-the-filereference-class/

Thanks in Advance.

With Warm Regards,
Avinash

Re: SFTP file transfer for large files using flex

Posted by sébastien Paturel <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ariel Jakobovits <ar...@yahoo.com>.
> I might be off, but I don't think an ANE is, or would be, part of Flex.  It is an extension for AIR.

Flex has components intended only for AIR (such as FileSystemList), and offering a component that exists as an ANE/AS combo that can be added to a project to upload large files does not seem out of the scope of Flex.

Ariel Jakobovits
Email: arieljake@yahoo.com
Phone: 650-690-2213
Fax: 650-641-0031
Cell: 650-823-8699

________________________________
Posted by eRoom-D <er...@gmail.com>.
First post here, but since I just wrote a file upload section for an
enterprise application I thought I might be able to shed a little more
light on the issue.

Flash player can upload more than 100Mb at a time, though as was mentioned
earlier only 100Mb is officially supported.

The other issue, that Avinash Y may be running into is a server side
limitation on uploads. I know that for our Java server we needed to have
it's configuration changed to allow larger files uploaded. If that isn't
changed, then the server has it's own timeouts that file uploads would run
into and the larger files would fail during the upload.

Thanks,

David

Flash and Flex Developer - http://vandermore.com

Posted by JP Bader <jp...@zavteq.com>.

--
JP Bader
Principal

Re: SFTP file transfer for large files using flex

Posted by filippo dipisa <fi...@dipisa.net>.
in Air you have the FileStream APi that allows you to stream the file to
the server.
Basically you have to split the file in different chunks and then send to
the server.

here some code example ( I wrote on the fly and didn't test, it is just to
make you understand )

var fileStream:FileStream = new FileStream();
                fileStream.open(yourReferenceToTheUploadedFile,
FileMode.READ);
                fileStream.addEventListener(ProgressEvent.PROGRESS,
yourHandler);
                var byteArraytoSend:ByteArray = new ByteArray();
                var currentLength:int = Math.min(BUFFERSIZE,
fileStream.bytesAvailable);
                var bytesAvailable:uint = fileStream.bytesAvailable -
byteArrayStartPosition;
                var chunk:ByteArray = new ByteArray();
                yourSocketOrRemoteApiToSendTheChunck

With the FileStream I manged to upload really big files and even entire
directories.
With Flex you can use the same architecture using the bytearray but you
risk to crash the browser flashplayer plugin if the file is bigger thatn
1GB and for some Browser even less.

Hope it helps

Filippo

Posted by Marcus Fritze <ma...@googlemail.com>.