Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "D. Stimits" <st...@comcast.net> on 2004/11/29 23:01:36 UTC

can't find javac tomcat 5.0.30 jdk1.5.0

I've found several clues that suggest this is a common problem, but no
fixes. I have jdk installed on linux at /opt/jdk-1.5.0/, it works
properly for all users, and in all cases JAVA_HOME is set here. Any
attempt to recompile a JSP (I have it set to check for page out of date
each hit) results in this:
Compiler Adapter '/opt/jdk1.5.0/bin/javac' can't be found.

The compiler is there and clearly useable, it seems that some sort of
jvm chroot is going on, but my server startup is NOT doing this. All
temp and permanent directory locations are completely accessible as
read/write. Clues include some interesting notes in the 5.0.30
changelog, see:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/changelog.html

In the changelog for Jasper it says it fixed a default compiler target
VM setting to 1.3 so compilation with J2SE 5.0 works out of the box. So
on the tomcat 5.0.29, the following hints show up:
-- Using bin/catalina.xml with build.compiler set to any of jikes,
classic, or modern, there is no change;
-- Using tomcat.fork of false results in still not finding javac;
-- Using tomcat.fork of true results in finding javac but fails for all
kinds of other reasons.

Since this was reported as fixed in 5.0.30 beta, I removed 5.0.29 (and I
have in many tests completely started from scratch and reinstalled over
and over) and installed 5.0.30 beta. Now regardless of what I do it can
never find javac at all. What do I need to do to get JSP compiles to
find javac? Is some sort of chroot going on, or is it just hopeless with
jdk1.5.0? Is 5.0.30 beta actually a fix for this?