Posted to marketing@couchdb.apache.org by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org> on 2014/02/22 19:14:56 UTC

CouchDB news for DB-weekly

Hi Peter,

I am writing to you as a member of the marketing team of the Apache CouchDB
[1] project.

First of all I would like to say, that I really love your
weekly-newsletters. I have subscribed to all of them. The information you
are providing is of very great value. Thanks for your awesome work :)

I assume you know CouchDB as it is one of the early players in the NoSQL
field. One of our goals for this year is to push many marketing efforts.
The community is growing and big things are on it's way e.g. the merge for
rcouch and Cloudant's BigCouch into Apache CouchDB.

So my question is what the process is, so that you also include news about
CouchDB into the DB-Weekly newsletter? We would love to send news and
information about the project to you regularly - but maybe not every week.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Cheers

Andy

[1] http://couchdb.apache.org

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

Re: CouchDB news for DB-weekly

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
On 24 February 2014 13:43, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de> wrote:
> > How about you writing on http://planet.couchdb.org/ ?
>
> I'm not good in writing articles and, especially, writing English
> articles (: Unless someone will correct the spelling after me.
> I have a post in drafts about Statistics in CouchDB (what's _stats,
> how to use them and how to go beyond of them), still couldn't finish
> it, but that's the first candidate if you're looking for something.

you are welcome to send / share it to / with me and I will have a look over
it. I am also not a native English speaking guy but I think I can edit your
post, so that it is really ok to post it :). And I don't see a problem if
there are some not totally correct english things in it. I mean hey - it's
community driven and not everybody is a nativ English "speaker" :)
--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: CouchDB news for DB-weekly

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de> wrote:
> How about you writing on http://planet.couchdb.org/ ?

I'm not good in writing articles and, especially, writing English
articles (: Unless someone will correct the spelling after me.
I have a post in drafts about Statistics in CouchDB (what's _stats,
how to use them and how to go beyond of them), still couldn't finish
it, but that's the first candidate if you're looking for something.

--
,,,^..^,,,

Re: CouchDB news for DB-weekly

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Hi Alex,

your input is highly appreciated :)

On 24 February 2014 09:46, Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 10:14 PM, Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org> wrote:
> > So my question is what the process is, so that you also include news
> about
> > CouchDB into the DB-Weekly newsletter? We would love to send news and
> > information about the project to you regularly - but maybe not every
> week.
>
> I believe, at first, we have to generate these news or somehow raise
> dev-bloggers interest to CouchDB (again - there are a lot of posts
> about CouchDB, but mostly dated between 2008-2011 years). There most
> interesting news currently are happens on ML and IRC, conferences and
> Cloudant blog. Also, our planet is mostly dead:
> http://planet.couchdb.org/ - while it's have a potential be the
> first-class source of news about CouchDB world.

you are right. What we need is to start the motor for all these sources
again. But the marketing team has to setup itself first and can then ask
the community to push news to the adequate places. E.g. a good start would
be to reactivate http://planet.couchdb.org/

> So, I think, when the Planet will be alive and active, when there
> would be a lot of new and interesting posts about CouchDB, then we'll
> have a chance to be interested for DB-Weekly and others news
> aggregations.

In a way yes. But I know that starting relationships to people like Peter
can take some time, I think it is good to get in touch with him now. If he
says "I will write about CouchDB but not now because of lack of good
resources" we have a. opened the door to get in the DB-Weekly newsletter
and b. know what we have to do exactly. I suggest to wait for his answer
and take further steps then.

> P.S. I'm not familiar with all these marketing things and tricks, so
> would argue much for any position, but will just left my thoughts
> about the subj if you don't mind (:

see my very first note above :)

How about you writing on http://planet.couchdb.org/ ?

@marketing-team: should we throw out a mail to user@ and dev@ to remind
that we have planet.couchdb.org? We could suggest some topics to write
about:

_ new committers &| PMC members
_ bigcouch and rcouch merge
_ l10n
_ 1.5.0 release with new features
_ marketing activities and request to get in touch with us
_ ...

Cheers

Andy

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: CouchDB news for DB-weekly

Posted by Alexander Shorin <kx...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andy,

Posted by Peter Cooper <pe...@cooperpress.com>.
Excellent, thanks! I'll check it out now as I'm working on the next issue
at the moment.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@nms.de>.
Hi Peter,

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

http://www.couchdb-buch.de
http://www.pg-praxisbuch.de

Re: CouchDB news for DB-weekly

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

I have written a draft for a press release called "CouchDB - latest
status". The target to start somehow with weekly, twoweekly or monthly news.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1msjXweLWSbtlA1lck4vByv6qor50dbIFStENx_K8xvc/edit?usp=sharing

I am looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks

Andy

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Peter,

thanks a lot for your reply.

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
great news Noah! I will write down some ideas and share it with the
marketing team

Cheers

Andy

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.