Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Bowen Li <bo...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/13 08:44:02 UTC

[DISCUSS] have separate Flink distributions with built-in Hive dependencies

Hi all,

I want to propose to have a couple separate Flink distributions with Hive
dependencies on specific Hive versions (2.3.4 and 1.2.1). The distributions
will be provided to users on Flink download page [1].

A few reasons to do this:

1) Flink-Hive integration is important to many many Flink and Hive users in
two dimensions:
     a) for Flink metadata: HiveCatalog is the only persistent catalog to
manage Flink tables. With Flink 1.10 supporting more DDL, the persistent
catalog would be playing even more critical role in users' workflow
     b) for Flink data: Hive data connector (source/sink) helps both Flink
and Hive users to unlock new use cases in streaming, near-realtime/realtime
data warehouse, backfill, etc.

2) currently users have to go thru a *really* tedious process to get
started, because it requires lots of extra jars (see [2]) that are absent
in Flink's lean distribution. We've had so many users from public mailing
list, private email, DingTalk groups who got frustrated on spending lots of
time figuring out the jars themselves. They would rather have a more "right
out of box" quickstart experience, and play with the catalog and
source/sink without hassle.

3) it's easier for users to replace those Hive dependencies for their own
Hive versions - just replace those jars with the right versions and no need
to find the doc.

* Hive 2.3.4 and 1.2.1 are two versions that represent lots of user base
out there, and that's why we are using them as examples for dependencies in
[1] even though we've supported almost all Hive versions [3] now.

I want to hear what the community think about this, and how to achieve it
if we believe that's the way to go.

Cheers,
Bowen

[1] https://flink.apache.org/downloads.html
[2]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/dev/table/hive/#dependencies
[3]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/dev/table/hive/#supported-hive-versions

Re: [DISCUSS] have separate Flink distributions with built-in Hive dependencies

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.
+1, this is definitely necessary for better user experience. Setting up
environment is always painful for many big data tools.

Bowen Li <bo...@gmail.com> 于2019年12月13日周五 下午5:02写道:

--
Best Regards

Jeff Zhang

Re: [DISCUSS] have separate Flink distributions with built-in Hive dependencies

Posted by Jeff Zhang <zj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bowen Li <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>.
Thanks all for explaining.

I misunderstood the original proposal.
-1 to put them in our distributions
+1 to have provide hive uber jars as Seth and Aljoscha advice

Hive is just a connector no matter how important it is.
So I totally agree that we shouldn't put them in our distributions.
We can start offering three uber jars:
- flink-sql-connector-hive-1 (uber jar with hive dependent version 1.2.1)
- flink-sql-connector-hive-2 (uber jar with hive dependent version 2.3.4)
- flink-sql-connector-hive-3 (uber jar with hive dependent version 3.1.1)
My understanding is quite enough to users.

Best,
Jingsong Lee

Posted by Jark Wu <im...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
IIRC, Guowei wants to work on supporting Table API connectors in Plugins.
With that, we could have the Hive dependency as a plugin, avoiding
dependency conflicts.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 1:11 PM Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> Then the startup of hive integration will be very simple with one or two
> pre-bundled, user just add these dependencies:
> - flink-connector-hive.jar
> - flink-shaded-hive-uber-<version>.jar
>
> Some changes are needed, but I think it should work.
>
> Another thing is can we put flink-connector-hive.jar into flink/lib, it
> should clean and no dependencies.
>
> Best,
> Jingsong Lee
>
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 7:13 PM Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jingsong!
>>
>> This sounds that with two pre-bundled versions (hive 1.2.1 and hive
>> 2.3.6) you can cover a lot of versions.
>>
>> Would it make sense to add these to flink-shaded (with proper dependency
>> exclusions of unnecessary dependencies) and offer them as a download,
>> similar as we offer pre-shaded Hadoop downloads?
>>
>> Best,
>> Stephan
>>

>> On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 10:26 AM Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Stephan,
>>>
>>> The hive/lib/ has many jars, this lib is for execution, metastore, hive
>>> client and all things.
>>> What we really depend on is hive-exec.jar. (hive-metastore.jar is also
>>> required in the low version hive)
>>> And hive-exec.jar is a uber jar. We just want half classes of it. These
>>> half classes are not so clean, but it is OK to have them.
>>>
>>> Our solution now:
>>> - exclude hive jars from build
>>> - provide 8 versions dependencies way, user choose by his hive
>>> version.[1]
>>>
>>> Spark's solution:
>>> - build-in hive 1.2.1 dependencies to support hive 0.12.0 through 2.3.3.
>>> [2]
>>>     - hive-exec.jar is hive-exec.spark.jar, Spark has modified the
>>> hive-exec build pom to exclude unnecessary classes including Orc and
>>> parquet.
>>>     - build-in orc and parquet dependencies to optimizer performance.
>>> - support hive version 2.3.3 upper by "mvn install -Phive-2.3", to
>>> built-in hive-exec-2.3.6.jar. It seems that since this version, hive's API
>>> has been seriously incompatible.
>>> Most of the versions used by users are hive 0.12.0 through 2.3.3. So the
>>> default build of Spark is good to most of users.
>>>
>>> Presto's solution:
>>> - Built-in presto's hive.[3] Shade hive classes instead of thrift
>>> classes.
>>> - Rewrite some client related code to solve kinds of issues.
>>> This approach is the heaviest, but also the cleanest. It can support all
>>> kinds of hive versions with one build.
>>>
>>> So I think we can do:
>>>
>>> - The eight versions we now maintain are too many. I think we can move
>>> forward in the direction of Presto/Spark and try to reduce dependencies
>>> versions.
>>>
>>> - As your said, about provide fat/uber jars or helper script, I prefer
>>> uber jars, user can download one jar to their startup. Just like Kafka.

>>> [2]

Posted by Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stephan,

--
Best, Jingsong Lee

Re: [DISCUSS] have separate Flink distributions with built-in Hive dependencies

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.
Hi Jingsong!

Posted by Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stephan,

--
Best, Jingsong Lee

Re: [DISCUSS] have separate Flink distributions with built-in Hive dependencies

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rui Li <li...@apache.org>.
Hi Stephan,

Posted by Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Stephan Ewen <se...@apache.org>.

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bowen Li <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Danny Chan <yu...@gmail.com>.
Also -1 on separate builds.

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.

Posted by Seth Wiesman <sj...@gmail.com>.
I'm also -1 on separate builds.

Posted by Robert Metzger <rm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
-1

Posted by Jingsong Li <ji...@gmail.com>.
Hi Bowen,

Thanks for driving this.
+1 for this proposal.

Due to our multi version support, users are required to rely on
different dependencies, it does break the "out of box" experience.
Now that the client has changed to go to child first class loader resolve
by default, it puts forward higher requirements for user dependence, which
also leads to: a related bug to run hive job using the dependencies from
document.[1]
It is really hard to use.

I have some more thinking:
- I think we can make the user's jar package as thin as possible by
providing the appropriate excludes. Sometimes, the transmission of jar
packets consumes a lot of resources and time.
- Why we not add for hive version 3?

Best,
Jingsong Lee

Posted by Terry Wang <zj...@gmail.com>.