Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "B. K. Oxley (binkley)" <bi...@alumni.rice.edu> on 2005/02/06 16:19:06 UTC

Re: [vfs] proposal: MemoryFS

This is the sort of tree I was asking about (below) to represent the
memory file system.  I want to avoid reusing DefaultTreeModel for a data
structure since it is Swing-oriented (look at all the listeners!).

I'd expect to specialize the generic thus:

public class RamTree extends Tree<String, RamFileObject> {
     public final Node root = new Node("");
}

The rest is encapsulated in the Node class.

An aside: where would a class like Tree belong?  It is awfully general
to be in VFS.  Should I be mentioning this to the collections folk?

Cheers,
--binkley

public class Tree <Path, Leaf> {
     /**
      * Creates a new root node for a tree with the given
String}, a common choice for root path would be the empty string.
      *
      * @param path the root node name
      *
      * @return the new root node
      */
     public Node createRootNode(final Path path) {
         return new Node(path);
     }

     public class Node {
         private final Path path;
         private final Node parent;
         private final Map<Path, Node> children = new HashMap<Path, Node>();

         private Leaf content;

         /**
          * Constructs a new root {@code Node} with the given
<var>path</var>.
          * The root is itself its own parent node.
          *
          * @param path the root node name
          *
          * @see #Node(Path, Node)
          */
         protected Node(final Path path) {
             if (null == path) throw new NullPointerException();

             this.parent = this;
             this.path = path;
         }

         /**
          * Constructs a new non-root {@code Node} with the given
          * <strong>must</strong> be distinct from this node.
          *
          * @param path the child node name
          * @param parent the parent node
          *
          * @see #Node(Path)
          */
         protected Node(final Path path, final Node parent) {
             if (null == parent) throw new NullPointerException();
             if (this == parent) throw new IllegalArgumentException();
             if (null == path) throw new NullPointerException();

             this.parent = parent;
             this.path = path;
         }

         public boolean isRoot() {
             return this == parent;
         }

         public Node getParent() {
             return parent;
         }

         public Path getPath() {
             return path;
         }

         public boolean hasContent() {
             return null != content;
         }

         public Leaf getContent() {
             if (null == content) throw new NullPointerException();

             return content;
         }

         public void setContent(final Leaf content) {
             if (null == content) throw new NullPointerException();

             this.content = content;
         }

         public void removeContent() {
             if (null != content) throw new IllegalStateException();

             this.content = null;
         }

         public boolean hasChild(final Path path) {
             if (null == path) throw new NullPointerException();

             return children.containsKey(path);
         }

         public Node getChild(final Path path) {
             if (null == path) throw new NullPointerException();

             return children.get(path);
         }

         public Node addChild(final Path path) {
             if (null == path) throw new NullPointerException();
             if (hasChild(path)) throw new IllegalArgumentException();

             final Node child = new Node(path, this);

             children.put(path, child);

             return child;
         }

         public void removeChild(final Path path) {
             if (null == path) throw new NullPointerException();
             if (!hasChild(path)) throw new IllegalArgumentException();

             children.remove(path);

             // Do not return the removed node; it has no valid parent
         }

         public Collection<Node> getChildren() {
             return Collections.unmodifiableCollection(children.values());
         }
     }
}

Re: [vfs] proposal: MemoryFS

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
B. K. Oxley (binkley) wrote:

> This is the sort of tree I was asking about (below) to represent the
> memory file system.

I am on vacation this week. I will have a look at this an your sources
afterwards.

---
Mario