Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/09 17:30:21 UTC

Improving Autocompleter performance T 4.1.2

I am trying to figure out why my autocompleter performs so slowly.
I've tried multiple things to try to improve.  I've tried using the
DefaultAutoComplete model, a StringAutoCompleteModel that just takes
in a List<String> and looks for a match where the List is created in
PageBeginRender and set as a abstract property, and even a
DBAutoCompleteModel that queries the db for matches.

Looking at FireBug the dojo response time is around 11000ms which is
way to long.  What other things could I try to improve the performace?

~chris

Re: Improving Autocompleter performance T 4.1.2

Posted by janjonge <ja...@gmail.com>.
Please use detachable models!

Jan

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
+1

Posted by Andrea Chiumenti <ki...@gmail.com>.
This solution is a possible one and not easy at all.
The main problem is that dojo as every js variable is bound to the document
(page) so when you switch to anther page you loose it.
More dojo dynamically load small js code files, so if you have many differet
dojo require into your page you'll open many connections. This is good for
one or two but terrible when there are many of them.
Now the idea:
Since T4 has the possibility do have custom services, building a caching
dojo service that deploy dojo.js plus all page related dojo.require in a
single stram shold improve drammatically the rendering speed.
So for a given page, the first time it is accessed i will be provided only
the stream containing dojo.js. While dojo.require are called they are
intercepted by the service that will cache them in a queue.
The next time the same page is accessed, even by another user, the caching
system will provide instead of the single dojo.js, the whole called dojo
files.

But, as I said, this is not easy at all.
kiuma

Posted by Andrea Chiumenti <ki...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by D&J Gredler <dj...@gmail.com>.