Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com> on 2001/10/11 09:28:52 UTC

Re: Performance (official cocoon site very slow)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:03:38 +1000, Jo Bourne <ve...@va.com.au> wrote:

> hi,
>
> We have a number of sites running on cocoon 1.8.2 at the moment and
> we are in the process of upgr ading to cocoon2 primarily because
> cocoon 1.8.2 grinds to a halt when we try to process any very large
> xml pages (and we have a number of them). We believe this is a DOM
> issue and that cocoon2 b eing more SAX based may not have the same
> issues...
>
> anyway I have always found the official cocoon information site
> excruciatingly slow and today act ually timed the cocoon2 sitemap
> page taking an average time of over 6 mintues to load. I would li ke
> to know if this site runs on cocoon, if so which version, and what
> exactly you think is causin g this dreadful performance? are the
> server/s woefully under-specced for the traffic or is the co coon
> site also suffering from the same problems we experience? (or is it
> something else entirely)

We did some performance measurement of Cocoon2 in several combinations
and we found the performance quite good.

> note: Our servers are all FreeBSD 4.3/tomcat 3.2/cocoon 1.8.2
> running on P3s and P4s (ranging bet ween 600Mhz and 1.5Ghz) and
> 512Mg or more RAM each, the problems we experience seem to be
> entirel y CPU based, we don't come close to using the available RAM
> on the servers in question, but cocoo n requests constantly send
> them to 100% CPU usage.....

One thing we found was that Tomcat 3.2 has VERY poor performance. The
fastest Tomcat servlet container we found is Tomcat 3.3rc1, which
improved the overall performance in some cases up to 5 times!

Ovidiu Predescu <ov...@cup.hp.com>
http://sourceforge.net/users/ovidiu/ (my SourceForge page)

Re: Performance (official cocoon site very slow)

Posted by Jo Bourne <ve...@va.com.au>.
Hi Ovidiu,

thanks heaps for this info, I was wondering did you also compare tomcat4 with 3.2 and 3.3rc1 and find that 3.3rc1 was better for performance?

cheers
jo

--
Jo Bourne