Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Gardner, David [IT]" <Da...@citigroup.com> on 2003/09/19 08:50:36 UTC

Tomcat 4.1.18 Administration Tool does not appear to support pass word encryption

I am using a tomcat Realm user database that reads the standard
tomcat-users.xml file using MD5 encryption. I have set up the administration
tool to allow user name and password administration. This works but only
saves a clear text password back to the tomcat-users.xml file. There appears
to be no facility to configure it to write encrypted passwords. Has anyone
set this up or changed the admin tool to allow this?

David Gardner
Software Developer
Cititech
Level 11, 2 Park Street
Sydney NSW Australia 2000

Phone: 		(+612) 8225 4803
Fax:		(+612) 8225
Email: 		david.gardner@citigroup.com

Important  Information

This message may contain confidential or proprietary information.  If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and
delete the message from your system.  You should not copy or use it for any
purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.  E-mail transmission
cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.  No guarantee is made that
any attachments are virus free.  We reserve the right to monitor all e-mail
communications.

This e-mail does not take into account your investment objectives or
financial situation and you should obtain advice based on your own
individual circumstances before making an investment decision

This e-mail is made available to you in Australia by Citigroup Global
Markets Australia Pty Limited ABN 64 003 114 832, a licensed securities
dealer and futures broker, a Participating Organisation of the Australian
Stock Exchange Limited and a participant of the Sydney Futures Exchange
Limited.  In New Zealand it is made available through Citigroup Global
Markets New Zealand Limited, a member firm of the New Zealand Stock
Exchange.

Although the information is believed to be reliable, we do not guarantee its
accuracy and it may be incomplete or condensed.  All opinions and estimates
constitute Citigroup's judgement at the date of issue and are subject to
change without notice. Unless stated otherwise, pricing information is
indicative only, subject to change and is not an offer to deal at any price
quoted.  Any reference to the terms of executed transactions is preliminary
only and subject to written confirmation.

Re: Tomcat 4.1.18 Administration Tool does not appear to support pass word encryption

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
tomcat-users.xml is meant for *simple* password maintenance. For more advance
password usage  - use a different Realm such as JDBCRealm or JNDIRealm

-Tim

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.