Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jon Fullmer <jo...@jonfullmer.com> on 2004/08/07 16:33:46 UTC

SMTP AUTH?

I¹m using sendmail 8.12.11, MIMEDefang 2.44, SpamAssassin 2.64, and Cyrus
SASL 2.1.17 on Linux.

I know there is a way to tell SA not to check e-mails originating from a
certain IP range (or domain).  This unfortunately won¹t fit in my set up
very well.

Is there a way to tell SA not to check e-mails from a user that has properly
authenticated with SMTP AUTH?

 - Jon

Re: SMTP AUTH?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 11:09:05AM -0600, Jon Fullmer wrote:
> I suspected that this might be a question for the MIMEDefang group, but your
> response implied that there would be a way to do it if I was NOT using
> MIMEDefang.  How else would one do it?

You can't have SA not scan something once you've asked it to scan
something.  ie: the solution is to have whatever calls SA not send the
message in for scanning if it's from an IP range (or whatever) that
you don't want to have scanned.  there is no SpamAssassin-side solution
for this.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"I want a constant named after me!"         - Prof. O'Donnell

Re: SMTP AUTH?

Posted by Lucas Albers <ad...@cs.montana.edu>.
Jon Fullmer said:
> I suspected that this might be a question for the MIMEDefang group, but
> your
> response implied that there would be a way to do it if I was NOT using
> MIMEDefang.  How else would one do it?

I think I might have mentioned this before. But go read the mimedefang
archive, this question has been answered by me at least, a few times.
http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2003-December/018450.html

--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering

Re: SMTP AUTH?

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 16:48:27 -0500 (EST), Mike Burger wrote:

>  Well, quite simply, MIMEDefang is set up to scan everything that
>  is processed by your mail server.  If MIMEDefang is making use of
>  SA, then every mail message passed through it is scanned.

That's not how MIMEDefang works. MD is set to call it's filter for every message. The filter is a perl script. It is of course entirely possible to write a perl script that calls SA on some messages but not on others.

Exactly how to write this code for MD's filter is a question that really has nothing to do with SA though, so it should be asked in the MD-list instead. Should be possible to find that list through: <http://www.mimedefang.org>

/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org
http://www.fsdb.org/

Re: SMTP AUTH?

Posted by Mike Burger <mb...@bubbanfriends.org>.
On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Jon Fullmer wrote:

> I suspected that this might be a question for the MIMEDefang group, but your
> response implied that there would be a way to do it if I was NOT using
> MIMEDefang.  How else would one do it?
>
>  - Jon
>
> on 8/7/04 10:51 AM, Mike Burger at mburger@bubbanfriends.org wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 7 Aug 2004, Jon Fullmer wrote:
> >
> >> I¹m using sendmail 8.12.11, MIMEDefang 2.44, SpamAssassin 2.64, and Cyrus
> >> SASL 2.1.17 on Linux.
> >>
> >> I know there is a way to tell SA not to check e-mails originating from a
> >> certain IP range (or domain).  This unfortunately won¹t fit in my set up
> >> very well.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to tell SA not to check e-mails from a user that has properly
> >> authenticated with SMTP AUTH?
> >
> > If you're using SA through MIMEDefang, then probably not.

Well, quite simply, MIMEDefang is set up to scan everything that is
processed by your mail server.  If MIMEDefang is making use of SA, then
every mail message passed through it is scanned.

The only way that I can think of would be to run SA through the
spamd/spamc/procmail process...procmail only processes mail that is being
delivered to local users.  As such, only incoming mail would be scanned,
on delivery.  Outbound mail from your actual users would not.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@bubbanfriends.org

with a message of:

subscribe