Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Sam Tregar <sa...@tregar.com> on 2004/04/30 21:00:07 UTC

ANNOUNCE: Krang v1.017 Released

Krang v1.017 is now available.  Notable changes in this release:

  - A major performance speedup for previewing and publishing is now
    in place.  Links to stories and media which are unchanged since
    their last publish will no longer trigger publishing.

  - The category chooser now respects permissions settings.

  - More bugs are fixed.

Detailed change-log here: http://krang.sf.net/docs/changelog.html

Krang is an Open Source web-publisher / content-management system
designed for large-scale magazine-style websites.  It is a 100% Perl
application using Apache/mod_perl and MySQL, as well as numerous CPAN
modules.

Krang provides a powerful and easy to use story and media editing
environment for magazine editors, as well as a complete template
development environment for web designers. On the back-end, Perl
programmers can customize Krang to control the data entered in the
story editor and add code to drive the templates to build output.
Krang can be enhanced with add-ons containing new skins and other new
features.  Krang easily handles large data sets and can manage
multiple websites in a single installation.

For more information about Krang, visit the Krang website:

  http://krang.sourceforge.net/

There you can download Krang, view screenshots, read documentation,
join our mailing-lists and access the CVS tree.

- the Krang team

Re: ANNOUNCE: Krang v1.017 Released

Posted by Garth Webb <ga...@zappos.com>.
On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 14:51, Stas Bekman wrote:
> Perrin Harkins wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 17:35, Garth Webb wrote:
> >
> >>Maybe I'm not familiar enough with it, but isn't Krang an online
> >>publishing application that uses one or more mod_perl frameworks, not a
> >>mod_perl framework itself?
> >

> > You are correct, it belong on the products page, under "Content
> > Management Systems":
> > http://perl.apache.org/products/products.html
>
> Oops, sorry, moved it to that page. Thanks for telling me folks :)

Ah, excellent.  I was planning on checking it out when I got some free
time, but its first location had me a little confused about what it was.

> >>I'm just curious, since there are some mod_perl based projects I'm
> >>working on that I'd like to give some exposure when they are complete.
> >

> > Go ahead and announce them.  Building awareness of mod_perl-based
> > applications is good for all of us.
>
> Seconded! The more -- the marrier!
>
> There is also the announcement list for those who care only about the
> announcements, but CC'ing this list is always good.
> http://perl.apache.org/maillist/announce.html

Ok, thats good information.  Thanks!

Re: ANNOUNCE: Krang v1.017 Released

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 17:35, Garth Webb wrote:
> Maybe I'm not familiar enough with it, but isn't Krang an online
> publishing application that uses one or more mod_perl frameworks, not a
> mod_perl framework itself?

You are correct, it belong on the products page, under "Content
Management Systems":
http://perl.apache.org/products/products.html

> Also, (assuming Krang is not a framework) is it acceptable to
> 'ANNOUNCE:' version releases of applications that use mod_perl on this
> list?  I've seen several mod_perl modules and utilities that announce
> updates (things that as a mod_perl developer, I could use), but Krang is
> the first application for which I've seen announcements.

It is acceptable, and Krang is definitely not the first.  The most
direct comparison would be Bricolage, which regularly announces new
releases here.

> I'm just curious, since there are some mod_perl based projects I'm
> working on that I'd like to give some exposure when they are complete.

Go ahead and announce them.  Building awareness of mod_perl-based
applications is good for all of us.

- Perrin

Re: ANNOUNCE: Krang v1.017 Released

Posted by Garth Webb <ga...@zappos.com>.
On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 12:24, Stas Bekman wrote:
> I just adding this to the listing of mod_perl frameworks:
> http://perl.apache.org/products/app-server.html#Krang

Maybe I'm not familiar enough with it, but isn't Krang an online
publishing application that uses one or more mod_perl frameworks, not a
mod_perl framework itself?

Also, (assuming Krang is not a framework) is it acceptable to
'ANNOUNCE:' version releases of applications that use mod_perl on this
list?  I've seen several mod_perl modules and utilities that announce
updates (things that as a mod_perl developer, I could use), but Krang is
the first application for which I've seen announcements.

I'm just curious, since there are some mod_perl based projects I'm
working on that I'd like to give some exposure when they are complete.

Thanks!

Garth Webb

Re: ANNOUNCE: Krang v1.017 Released

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.