Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by William Stearns <ws...@pobox.com> on 2004/02/13 00:32:48 UTC

Blocking large IP ranges, was Re: I dont know if I should be upset about this spam or not???

Good evening, Greg,

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Greg Cirino - Cirelle Enterprises wrote:

> Unless you need folks from the 80.0.0.0/8
> to email directly, just firewall those ranges
> from getting to port 25
>
> by the way there are a bunch from the 8x.0.0.0/8
> that do nothing but spam.
>
> my 2 cents (in 2004 currency exchange rates)

	Greg, have you considered what you're saying?

	The 80.x.x.x block is allocate to RIPE (http://www.ripe.net) for
suballocation to its members, who are ISPs located in Europe, the Middle
East, Central Asia, and Africa.
	Unless I've misunderstood what you said, you seem to be
recommending that we blacklist a significant portion - probably between 5%
and 15% - of the landmass of the earth, because some of the people whose
IP addresses starting with 80 spam.
	I _sincerely_ hope that you were kidding and that my funnybone
needs a serious tuning.  :-)

	Just for grins, I went back to the IP addresses used by the web
servers I have in my sa-blacklist.  Granted, these are _destination_
addresses, rather than the source of the spam.  Here are the first octets
of those IP addresses (the second column) and the how frequently they show
up in spammer web servers:

      1	0
      3	1
      6	10
      2	115
     60	12
      5	127
     21	128
     10	129
     18	130
      1	131
      2	134
      2	137
      2	138
      3	139
     13	140
      1	141
     13	146
      4	147
      2	148
      1	155
     52	157
     16	161
      1	162
      2	165
      4	167
     30	168
      1	171
     11	192
     30	193
     33	194
     22	195
      1	196
    140	198
     34	199
    474	200
    166	202
     52	203
    132	204
     52	205
     72	206
    497	207
    165	208
    383	209
     85	210
    244	211
     75	212
     63	213
    977	216
     80	217
    332	218
    519	219
    172	220
     86	221
     89	24
    119	38
     36	4
    611	61
     50	62
    349	63
   1024	64
    367	65
   1203	66
     70	67
     57	68
    558	69
     59	80
     65	81
     23	82
      3	83

	By your logic, we might want to blacklist 64 (Concentric) and 66
(Sprint) against outbound web traffic.  *smile*
	Just in case anyone else's sense of humor is as badly damaged as
mine seems to be, _don't do this_.
	Cheers,
	- Bill

        "...exploiting this vulnerability would cause the RPC service to
fail, with the attendant loss of any RPC-based services the server
offers, as well as potential loss of some COM functions.
	...Although Windows NT 4.0 is affected by this vulnerability,
Microsoft is unable to provide a patch for this vulnerability for
Windows NT 4.0. The architectural limitations of Windows NT 4.0 do not
support the changes that would be required to remove this vulnerability.
Windows NT 4.0 users are strongly encouraged to employ the workaround
discussed in the FAQ below, which is to protect the NT 4.0 system with a
firewall that blocks Port 135."

-- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-010.asp?frame=true

	"Microsoft is betting that customers using 7-year-old Windows NT
4 Server--35 percent of the total--are ripe for an upgrade."

-- http://news.com.com/2100-1012-994437.html
William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com).  Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at:   http://www.stearns.org