Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "michael.boom" <my...@yahoo.com> on 2013/11/06 17:55:03 UTC

Creating a replica by copying index

Is it possible to create a replica of a shard (collection1_shard1_replica1),
in SolrCloud, by copying the collection1_shard1_replica1/ directory to the
new server, updating core.properties and restarting solr on that machine?

Would this be faster than using the CoreAPI to create a new core and
specifying the collection and shard?

Thanks!

-----
Thanks,
Michael

Re: Creating a replica by copying index

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
bq: Would this be faster than using the CoreAPI to create a new core and
specifying the collection and shard?

Not really. Under the covers, SolrCloud uses the old-style replication
process
if there are a large number of changes in the index. Basically, it's copying
the files from the leader to the follower for you, just like you'd have to
do
anyway.

So I'd just fire up the new replica for the shard, sit back and watch Solr
do its
magic.

FWIW,
Erick