Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Cheong Chung Onn <ch...@greenfossil.com> on 2009/01/25 05:11:45 UTC

Deleting of schema fails due to dependencies

Hi All,

This is another clarification we have regarding ApacheDS behavior. We
have created our own schema with its own definition of Attributes and
ObjectClasses. We managed to successfully import it into both ApacheDS
and OpenLdap (old-style format).

When we want to delete the schema on ApacheDS using Studio, we were
alerted with the following cryptic error messages -

     Error while deleting entry
    [LDAP: error code 53 - UNWILLING_TO_PERFORM: failed for     Del request
            Entry :
    '1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.0.2.1=1.3.6.1.4.1.30274.1.3.1,2.5.4.11=attributetypes,2.5.4.3=technetium,2.5.4.11=schema'
    : The attributeType with OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.30274.1.3.1 cannot be
    deleted until all entities using this attributeType have also been
    deleted.  The following dependees exist: [1.3.6.1.4.1.30274.1.4.2]]
      [LDAP: error code 53 - UNWILLING_TO_PERFORM: failed for     Del
    request
            Entry :
    '1.3.6.1.4.1.18060.0.4.0.2.1=1.3.6.1.4.1.30274.1.3.1,2.5.4.11=attributetypes,2.5.4.3=technetium,2.5.4.11=schema'
    : The attributeType with OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.30274.1.3.1 cannot be
    deleted until all entities using this attributeType have also been
    deleted.  The following dependees exist: [1.3.6.1.4.1.30274.1.4.2]]

We managed to hunt down the problem after much investigation. The
problem lies with our new ObjectClass definition which is referencing
the new Attributes. The only way to delete our schema is first we must
delete the ou=objectclasses entries in our schema, then delete the
entire schema.

This restriction also will cause an inter-lock situation if we would to
create a hierarchy of attributes in the same schema. In our previous
schema, we had created some hierarchy of Attributes and the nightmare
starts when we tried to delete the schema. ApacheDS will complained
about the dependees exists. Eversince we understood ApacheDS
requirements, we have painstakingly remove all the hierarchies in our
Attributes.

Is deleting ObjectClasses entries is a necessary step before deleting a
schema?

Regards
chung-onn

Re: Deleting of schema fails due to dependencies

Posted by Cheong Chung Onn <ch...@greenfossil.com>.
Hi Kiran,

Thanks for the quick response

Kiran Ayyagari wrote:

>> Is deleting ObjectClasses entries is a necessary step before deleting
>> a schema?
>
> Yes, cause the objectclass(es) is/are referring to one or more
> attributes of the same schema.
>
> Note that in case an objectclass is a subclass of another in the same
> schema then deleting ou=objectclasses will fail,
> the subordinate objectclass(es) needs to be deleted first.
Yes, i discovered this requirement too, we also flattened or removed all
objectclass hierarchy in our schema so as to avoid it.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com>.

--
Kiran Ayyagari