Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by Weider Chang <we...@truetel.com.tw> on 2001/04/02 04:24:40 UTC

RE: Compound types and heterogeneous SOAP servers

Hi, Jacek

Thanks for your explanation. However, I still have question about it.

First, if server is an APACHE SOAP, and  client uses the IdooX SOAP. How does the client obtain the whole information to generate its own classes for compound types and the stub ( e.g. Apache_SOAP_Port.java in the Idoox's demo)? Specially, the information likes the content of <schema> in the Idoox's apachesoap.scl ? Apache has a deployment-descriptor xml but this file does not detail what makes about an address (or phone, or the schema). Does this mean the client (not an APACHE SOAP) programmer must obtain the schema-like information (by any mean) to construct the serialization/deserialization mechanism for the client-side SOAP implementation?

Second, if server is an IdooX SOAP and has the address book service in it, should it need to provide the whole client-side stuff (address.java, phone.address, and the Apache_SOAP_Port.java) for an programmer to access the service easily? If the client is a C++ or Perl SOAP implementation, should the server provide the similiar stuff for client programmer?
Or, the client-side programmer uses the SCL file (or WSDL file) provided by the SOAP server to create his/her stuff for serialization/deserialization?

Best Regards

Weider Chang

Posted by Jacek Kopecky <ja...@idoox.com>.
 Hello Weider,

 To your first question: since IdooXoap is built on service
descriptions, in order to use the best client features of IdooXoap you
have to get the descriptions from somewhere. Example of a description
language that we support is WSDL 1.0 (not 1.1 yet), and that contains
the schema information and the like. (The other language is SCL but
it's obsoleted by WSDL.)

 On the other hand if IdooXoap is on the server side it doesn't matter
to the client that it's IdooXoap - the client only knows the
interface. Again, WSDL is the preferred means of describing
interfaces. So the answer would be "yes, the client uses the WSDL
description in any way it sees fit, IdooXoap client would use it to
generate the classes you mentioned.

 Best regards

                            Jacek Kopecky
                               Idoox