Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "F. Da Costa" <da...@xs4all.nl> on 2004/01/02 19:50:22 UTC

[Stop rendering] Can I stop the page from rendering (as it normally would?)

Hi,

I'm running into something that I've been trying to dodge for a while.
Helas, no longer.

On the client there is a fully rendered and operational JS-object that does
a lot of stuff and babbles nicely with Tapestry.
There is this little thing however that I would like to change/ stop.

On submission of the page the whole 'thing' gets re-rendered, which is
perfectly fine from a tapestry p.o.v.
However, this is a feature I want to turn off (or change radically) for
this particular page.
My question is: *How* do i go about this?

Do I conditionally override renderSomething?
Do use a @Conditional in the .html?
...?

Any suggestion appreciated.

TIA
Fermin DCG

Re: [Stop rendering] Can I stop the page from rendering (as it normally would?)

Posted by "F. Da Costa" <da...@xs4all.nl>.
Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:

> Why would you now want the page to render?  That is, please provide more details about the
> interaction you have between your client-side JavaScript and your application.  My suspcion is that
> you are trying to use the page or direct service to do something against thier nature, and the right
> course of action is to create a new engine service for implementing the interaction you desire
> (engine services are similar in concept to servlets).

Sorry for being too incomplete in my explanation (not my strongest point).
I'll try to be more elaborate this time.

The situation is as follows:
In my effort to try and keep server traffic as low as possible I put
together a TreeTable (containing editable, checkbox, Link, popup fields)
that basically maintains its state on the client. I it also contains its
own search functionality etc. Thus covering a significant number of tasks
that would otherwise go server-side.

One of the main reasons for this is the size of the structure (3000+ rows)
and the potential number of users utilizing it.
In the current situation the user can do what he likes, only 'bothering'
the server when he actively chooses to. No intermediate trips to the server
have to be made.
At this point I gather the delta (kept on clientside as well) and send the
form result to the server for processing. This goes fine.

After processing the page is re-rendered, as is expected.
With this particular page this is *not* necessary because the
'server-state' is basically already in place on the client.
IF the server threw an error ONLY then would a complete re-render be
requested (from the client).

Once the page is initialized on the client there would be *no* reason to
re-render *unless* the client actively requests for this.
In short: the page needs to conditionally render itself or a part thereof.

... a part thereof ... is something that has been bouncing around in my
head as well in the following way.
Looking at a tree structure one would ideally like to see dynamic loading
of detailTbodies (the segment skeleton would already be in place).
As I work with the DOM on the client it would allow me to quite easily
insert a new tbody into the whole. The big challenge however would be to
only do the partial render of this particular 'bit'. But maybe your
suggestion re. the ExternalPage could serve some purpose here as well.

That's it.
I hope this makes more sense.

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.