Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/28 09:47:11 UTC

[DISCUSS] Next release version: 3.6.4, 3.7.0, 3.8.0 or other

Hi all,

Before we reroll the failed 3.8.0 I'd like we discuss openly the next
versioning since it seems we didn't reach a consensus yet and trying to not
create too much friction for users and in the community.

As a reminder the only feature the release will get is to prevent HTTP repo
(in favor of HTTPS ones). In that regard it is a breaking change if users
rely on HTTP repo but a security fix (I don't come back on the HTTP ->
HTTPS move IT ecosystem got recently here).

So it seems there are multiple versioning options:

1. 3.6.4: seems natural since it is a security fix, enables companies to
get this fix respecting a project versioning policy without having to
upgrade and avoids us to have to maintain 3.6 + 3.7/3.8 and soon 4.x.
Indeed it requires a very well documented paragraph about this change and
how to workaround it (local proxy/mirror is a trivial one for example) but
it will be the case whatever version we pick anyway IMHO.
2. 3.7.0: since it is a breaking change it can seem natural too (but has
the pitfall to likely require a backport in 3.6 anyway, due to the
versioning policies which can prevent some users to upgrade to a 3.7)
3. 3.8.0: was the vote, seems the rational was that originally we
targetting mvnw in 3.7 and since we didn't make it 3.8 was used. Have to
admit I'm not sure of this reasoning more than that (cause for me if we
don't have a planned feature we can either try to push/wait for it or
postpone it but not skip a version due to that) so if anyone wants to
complete the reasoning here it would be great.

Indeed my preference is for 3.6.4 which has the most advantages for
everyone and no additional drawbacks compared to 3.7 or 3.8 options until
we try to push to get mvnw in which would mean 3.7 becomes more natural
(and likely imply a 3.6.x maintenance version).

Goal of this thread is to feel the overall trend and see if we can refine
the proposals (for example: can we drop 3.8 one and only keep 3.7 and 3.6
or - best - can we refine it to a single version after some exchanges).
If we keep a few proposals after some days, what about a vote where the
majority wins - we would just need to define how we count,
bindings/committers/all (my preference being last one indeed)?

Romain Manni-Bucau

Re: [DISCUSS] Next release version: 3.6.4, 3.7.0, 3.8.0 or other

Posted by Som Lima <so...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for  clearing that up.
One step closer to choosing
the version number.

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
Hi Som Lima,

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Side note: was reviewing TomEE versioning policy which is very very close
to what we find in most companies having a versioning policy for security
vulnerabilities (https://tomee.apache.org/security/) and it tends to show
that the 3.6 handling would be a 3.6.3.1 with the security fix. Maybe an
option which explicits the security fix better (just speaking of 3.6 branch
handling, whatever is picked for the overall next release number if it is
not 3.6.4).

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Som Lima <so...@gmail.com>.

AW: [DISCUSS] Next release version: 3.6.4, 3.7.0, 3.8.0 or other

Posted by Markus KARG <ma...@headcrashing.eu>.
>> - Why not 3.7.0?
>> Apache Maven 3.7.0 has been advertised in the past that it would be the
>> first release where you could optionally activate the build/consumer
>> feature: the version containing this feature has been renamed to 4.0.0.
>> Reusing 3.7.0 might lead to confusion, hence we picked the next available
>> minor version.
> But we will deliver 3.8.xxx with no 3.7.xx which should have the
> “advertised” feature.
> Sorry following this reasoning it feels even worst and potentially more
> confusing for users.

I second that. If a feature was proposed for 3.7 and a user downloads 3.8 he simply thinks he missed 3.7 and will definitiely expect the feature to exist.

-Markus

Re: [DISCUSS] Next release version: 3.6.4, 3.7.0, 3.8.0 or other

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 at 8:07 pm, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> thank you Romain for your view
>
> current reasoning behind 3.8.0 choice is written in release notes [1]
>
> -  Why not 3.6.4?
> This is not just a bugfix as it contains three features that cause a
> change of default behavior (external HTTP insecure URLs are now blocked by
> default): your builds may fail when using this new Maven release, if you
> use now blocked repositories. Please check and eventually fix before
> upgrading.
>
> - Why not 3.7.0?
> Apache Maven 3.7.0 has been advertised in the past that it would be the
> first release where you could optionally activate the build/consumer
> feature: the version containing this feature has been renamed to 4.0.0.
> Reusing 3.7.0 might lead to confusion, hence we picked the next available
> minor version.

But we will deliver 3.8.xxx with no 3.7.xx which should have the
“advertised” feature.
Sorry following this reasoning it feels even worst and potentially more
confusing for users.
Btw seriously “advertise” who really remember this... I don’t really
remember official “advertisement” from the Apache Maven project itself.

Olivier Lamy

Re: [DISCUSS] Next release version: 3.6.4, 3.7.0, 3.8.0 or other

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hervé,

What about the 3.6.4 with this fix need anyway (to be clear: security fixes
must be backported in ~LTS, ie 3.6 as of today - even if we can't have such
statement it is needed in practise anyway? I don't clearly read in your
answer what's would be the plan to manage it. To try to be very clear: 3.6
was so much spread that we can't skip the backport of security fixes for
some times in this branch so creating another branch will require more work
for us or companies forks which I'd like to avoid.

About 3.7.0: we discussed it with a scope but it is not the first time a
release would get another scope and most users didn't get this anyway from
what I saw so tempted to say 3.7 or 3.8 in that regard is the same.
Strictly speaking 3.8 is worse cause 3.7 scope will not be in 3.8 so user
will feel he missed a release with a feature so he will get way more and
actually he just gets a security fix so no feature for him, no? We already
got these negative feedbacks due to a similar choice by the past so can be
good to try to avoid them this time (and if at the end we get as much
negative feedbacks with the opposite choice then we don't care next time?).

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
In my mind, this is simple: features go into major and minor versions,
maintenance versions are only for bugs, therefore a feature change is not
done in a maintenance version.

Gary

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2021-03-28 um 11:47 schrieb Romain Manni-Bucau:
> Hi all,
>
> Before we reroll the failed 3.8.0 I'd like we discuss openly the next
> versioning since it seems we didn't reach a consensus yet and trying to
not
> create too much friction for users and in the community.
>
> As a reminder the only feature the release will get is to prevent HTTP repo
> (in favor of HTTPS ones). In that regard it is a breaking change if users
> rely on HTTP repo but a security fix (I don't come back on the HTTP ->
> HTTPS move IT ecosystem got recently here).
>
> So it seems there are multiple versioning options:
>
> 1. 3.6.4: seems natural since it is a security fix, enables companies to
> get this fix respecting a project versioning policy without having to
> upgrade and avoids us to have to maintain 3.6 + 3.7/3.8 and soon 4.x.
> Indeed it requires a very well documented paragraph about this change and
> how to workaround it (local proxy/mirror is a trivial one for example) but
> it will be the case whatever version we pick anyway IMHO.
> 2. 3.7.0: since it is a breaking change it can seem natural too (but has
> the pitfall to likely require a backport in 3.6 anyway, due to the
> versioning policies which can prevent some users to upgrade to a 3.7)
> 3. 3.8.0: was the vote, seems the rational was that originally we
> targetting mvnw in 3.7 and since we didn't make it 3.8 was used. Have to
> admit I'm not sure of this reasoning more than that (cause for me if we
> don't have a planned feature we can either try to push/wait for it or
> postpone it but not skip a version due to that) so if anyone wants to
> complete the reasoning here it would be great.
>
> Indeed my preference is for 3.6.4 which has the most advantages for
> everyone and no additional drawbacks compared to 3.7 or 3.8 options until
> we try to push to get mvnw in which would mean 3.7 becomes more natural
> (and likely imply a 3.6.x maintenance version).
>
> Goal of this thread is to feel the overall trend and see if we can refine
> the proposals (for example: can we drop 3.8 one and only keep 3.7 and 3.6
> or - best - can we refine it to a single version after some exchanges).
> If we keep a few proposals after some days, what about a vote where the
> majority wins - we would just need to define how we count,
> bindings/committers/all (my preference being last one indeed)?

I follow here Hervè's explanation. This is a behavior change, not just
some security fix which isn't noticed at best. It cannot be a patch
version. Moreover, it uses a new minor of Maven Resolver which have
behavioral changes as well. This must ship as 3.x.
3.7.x does not qualify because that version has been already canceled
during development. It would be just inconsistent to reuse it.

At the end, Hervé, Robert and me spend too much time in discussing,
reviewing and testing of the change that I want to get over with and go
on with Maven 4.

Personally, I do not absolute care about Maven Wrapper. It is a feature,
not a fix or a behavioral change people can live without.

Sum up: It has to be 3.8.x or bust.

Re: [DISCUSS] Next release version: 3.6.4, 3.7.0, 3.8.0 or other

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
So seems there are two points to refine:

1. Is the http change *without as such toggle* a security fix (3.6) or
feature (3.7 or 3.8)
2. Do we fully reject semver and use 2 digit versioning (seems it is what
we often do).

On 1 im clearly for the security fix.
On 2 i dont care but we should explicit it for users to let them write
relevant versioning policies (use 3.N vs use 3.6.N for ex). Trust me, it
costs a lot for nothing to integrators/users and long term projects.

Posted by Jesper Udby <je...@udby.com>.
Hi,

I'd like to give my input too.

3.6.4 is IMHO not an option since there is change of behavior that would
come as a surprise for some. I know of smaller organisations where
running nexus, jenkins etc on HTTP is fine and switching to SSL is not
trivial since they do not have proper DevOps or certificate management
in place.

3.7.0 is controversial since it would not contain "advertised features".

3.8.0+ is better, even if it will cause some surprises for people who'd
believe that features not delivered in 3.7 would then at least be
available in 3.8...

And I think we should always be pragmatic. Semver is a scheme that can
be interpreted/implemented in different ways. I don't see skipping a
number as a big deal.

Best regards

Jesper Udby

Posted by Jesper Udby <je...@udby.com>.
I think removing the "suprise" part of a minor upgrade would be a good
compromise :-)

Brgds

Jesper Udby

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesper Udby <je...@udby.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Som Lima <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Som Lima <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Som Lima <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus KARG <ma...@headcrashing.eu>.

Posted by Som Lima <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
3.8.1 as we already burned and accidentally released 3.8.0

Though if we could go back in time to before the vote was started, it
should have been 3.6.4 IMO... but since the release manager went with
3.8.0, that’s the train we’re on

FTR the release manager’s decision on version number has always been final
in my mind (obviously consulting the community is better for fostering the
community, but in my book the version number is not for voting... the
release manager picks the number and then the vote is called)

On Sun 28 Mar 2021 at 10:47, Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Before we reroll the failed 3.8.0 I'd like we discuss openly the next
> versioning since it seems we didn't reach a consensus yet and trying to not
> create too much friction for users and in the community.
>
> As a reminder the only feature the release will get is to prevent HTTP repo
> (in favor of HTTPS ones). In that regard it is a breaking change if users
> rely on HTTP repo but a security fix (I don't come back on the HTTP ->
> HTTPS move IT ecosystem got recently here).
>
> So it seems there are multiple versioning options:
>
> 1. 3.6.4: seems natural since it is a security fix, enables companies to
> get this fix respecting a project versioning policy without having to
> upgrade and avoids us to have to maintain 3.6 + 3.7/3.8 and soon 4.x.
> Indeed it requires a very well documented paragraph about this change and
> how to workaround it (local proxy/mirror is a trivial one for example) but
> it will be the case whatever version we pick anyway IMHO.
> 2. 3.7.0: since it is a breaking change it can seem natural too (but has
> the pitfall to likely require a backport in 3.6 anyway, due to the
> versioning policies which can prevent some users to upgrade to a 3.7)
> 3. 3.8.0: was the vote, seems the rational was that originally we
> targetting mvnw in 3.7 and since we didn't make it 3.8 was used. Have to
> admit I'm not sure of this reasoning more than that (cause for me if we
> don't have a planned feature we can either try to push/wait for it or
> postpone it but not skip a version due to that) so if anyone wants to
> complete the reasoning here it would be great.
>
> Indeed my preference is for 3.6.4 which has the most advantages for
> everyone and no additional drawbacks compared to 3.7 or 3.8 options until
> we try to push to get mvnw in which would mean 3.7 becomes more natural
> (and likely imply a 3.6.x maintenance version).
>
> Goal of this thread is to feel the overall trend and see if we can refine
> the proposals (for example: can we drop 3.8 one and only keep 3.7 and 3.6
> or - best - can we refine it to a single version after some exchanges).
> If we keep a few proposals after some days, what about a vote where the
> majority wins - we would just need to define how we count,
> bindings/committers/all (my preference being last one indeed)?
>
> Romain Manni-Bucau
> https://github.com/rmannibucau> |
> <

Sent from my phone