Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by TEJAL ADSUL <te...@confluent.io> on 2019/03/21 20:49:32 UTC

[Vote] KIP-421: Support resolving externalized secrets in AbstractConfig

Hi All,

I would like to start the vote thread for KIP-421: Support resolving externalized secrets in AbstractConfig.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-421%3A+Support+resolving+externalized+secrets+in+AbstractConfig

Thanks!

Regards,
Tejal

Re: [Vote] KIP-421: Support resolving externalized secrets in AbstractConfig

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
I'm not sure if this is ready for a vote yet.  In particular, I don't understand how it will work in the broker.  Having external secrets in the broker is something that a lot of people have been asking for -- it seems like a big omission to not talk about it at all in this KIP.

I also don't understand why we are not considering the case where configuration changes over time.  This was certainly one of the big motivating use-cases of KIP-297.  A lot of our software runs for a long period of time (like a streams job that might run indefinitely, or the broker, etc. etc.)  We want to be able to handle configuration changes transparently.

I'm concerned that we might be adding technical debt by creating an interface that doesn't support dynamic configuration changes.  It would be nice to think a little bit more about how this should work and support the use-cases people want.

best,
Colin