Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net> on 2017/05/01 17:38:02 UTC

Re: Rename site-check.rb => site-scan.rb?

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 5:48 PM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote on 4/27/17 3:19 PM:
>> On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 2:14 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> But note that this code is still in beta and may well break again. If
>>> it does, just try again in an hour or two.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> When I have a spare minute, I would like move away from site check
>> being a spreadsheet.  I'd like the front page to be a high level
>> summary.  It still will be a table with rows and columns, but instead
>> of details, it will have smiley faces or perhaps green checkmarks (and
>> frown faces and red x's too).  And when you click on a row, you can
>> get more details.  Those details may include things like multiple
>> results for a given check, something that is harder to represent in
>> the current page.
>
> +1.  Perhaps you can create a new /check/sites.cgi to deploy, and then
> after a week of deprecation we can nuke the existing URL.

I've roughed the code in; there is still some cleanup to be done
(example: making sorting either work or removing it from various
pages).

https://whimsy.apache.org/site/

- Sam Ruby

Re: Rename site-check.rb => site-scan.rb?

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Sam Ruby wrote on 5/1/17 1:38 PM:
...snip...
> I've roughed the code in; there is still some cleanup to be done
> (example: making sorting either work or removing it from various
> pages).
>
> https://whimsy.apache.org/site/

Sweet.  Ideas for display & analysis improvements:

- Sorting for the main table; very useful for analyzing.

- Adding project website generator attributes when known.  I.e. if it's
easy to detect if 1) Forrest/Maven are used, or 2) if site is in CMS,
add a text note after the project name.  That makes submitting patches
easier for some people.

- Analysis check to see if there are any projects that have two
thanks/security/etc. links (i.e. where first traversed link may be
apache, but second link is elsewhere).

- Add registered checking to trademarks using
private/foundation/Brand/docket.json by ensuring the project name is
followed by the registered symbol within the trademark text.

- Manual override of specific project + check + actual text combos.

site-exceptions.json
{
  "axis": {
    "trademarks": "Trademark Registered of The ASF",
    "events": "http://www.apache.org/special-event"
  },
}

If that project/check matches the supplied string, then mark as green
with some checkmark symbol signifying it's manually checked as OK.

Make sense?  There may be some rare cases where projects should do
something different, and it's probably easier to do this for some
trademark cases rather than trying to come up with a complex regex.
That would get the analysis to being much closer to fully accurate.

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources