Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Alexander Murmann <am...@pivotal.io> on 2018/10/08 21:24:15 UTC

[VOTE] Time-based release schedule for minor releases

Hi everyone,

As discussed in "Predictable minor release cadence", I'd like us to find
agreement on releasing a new minor version every three months. There are
more details in the other thread and I should have captured everything
relevant on the wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Release+Schedule

There are also some discussions about patch releases. Let's please focus
this vote on the proposed minor release schedule and carry on other
discussions in the [DISCUSS] thread.

Thank you all!

Re: [VOTE] Time-based release schedule for minor releases

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
If you look through the 350+ JIRA’s fixed for 1.7.0 it’s not only bug fixes—there are improvements and new additions.  IMO, using a Minor version designation was the correct choice and fits with semver guidelines.

Anthony

Posted by Robert Houghton <rh...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Sai Boorlagadda <sa...@gmail.com>.
Sure! I am all in for time-based releases. I see the point that we can only
do Minors
as patches(or maintenance) are reserved for hotfixes and security bugs.

So +1 for a time-based release to ship whatever has changed since the last
release.

Posted by Alexander Murmann <am...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Sai Boorlagadda <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Barnes <db...@pivotal.io>.
+0
Willing to try any reaonable plan that emerges.
Would like to see some articulation of an "upgrade policy" if such things
exist in the open source universe. That is, will each quarterly (or
whatever) release necessarily be backward compatible with the previous
release? Will a user be able to leapfrog a year's worth of releases at one
go, or will they have to step through a chain of consecutive releases
one-by-one?
Or is that simply not an issue in an open source context?

Posted by Jared Stewart <st...@gmail.com>.
To my mind, one of the core reasons for SemVer is to communicate the level
of estimated risk to users when taking an update.  It seems to me that the
amount of code change included in a quarterly release will always introduce
more risk than a single narrowly-targeted fix for a CVE (like those that we
have previously released in patch versions).  Moreover, the introduction of
"substantial new functionality or improvments" is a *sufficient* condition
for incrementing minor versions, but is not a *necessary* condition.  For
these reasons, I vote +1 to aim for quarterly at-least-minor releases.

Posted by Bruce Schuchardt <bs...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Ryan McMahon <mc...@apache.org>.

Posted by Addison Huddy <ah...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Sai Boorlagadda <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexander Murmann <am...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Bruce Schuchardt <bs...@pivotal.io>.
-1

Posted by Sai Boorlagadda <sa...@gmail.com>.
+0

My preference would be for
- time-based patches and
- scope based minors & majors

Posted by Kenneth Howe <kh...@pivotal.io>.
+1 for 3-month minor release schedule

Posted by Juan José Ramos <jr...@pivotal.io>.
+1 for time-based releases.

Posted by Michael Stolz <ms...@pivotal.io>.
+1 Quarterly releases

Posted by Sai Boorlagadda <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jens Deppe <jd...@pivotal.io>.
+1 for time-based releases.

I think we would do well to gain some discipline around releasing on a
predictable cadence. We're probably never going to be short on changes that
are 'worthy' of going out on a release which, too often, simply lead to the
release being stretched out as we add in Just One More Thing.

_-Jens

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <ud...@apache.org>.
-0