Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by to...@r322.com on 2011/05/24 04:45:45 UTC

Tomcat latency

 Hello:

 I have a problem where a simple wget call to docs/config/valve.html can
 sometimes take up to 15 seconds to process.

 I have a script that does a wget call to valve.html every 5 seconds.
 Most of the time it's fast. However, today in the past 6 hours I had 13
 cases where it took over 3 seconds for wget to return valve.html. This
 is happening across 7 servers pretty consistently and I can't figure out
 why. Any suggestions to help me narrow down the problem?

 I'm going to modify the script to check disk i/o and load when the
 problem happens. Normally these numbers are sane with upwards of ~60%
 disk utilization load of ~2.

 Dual processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5680  @ 3.33GHz.

 The stats right now.

 top - 22:42:34 up 26 days,  7:17,  1 user,  load average: 1.64, 1.31,
 1.03
 Tasks: 115 total,   1 running, 114 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
 Cpu(s): 11.7%us,  1.1%sy,  0.0%ni, 56.3%id, 30.7%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.2%si,
 0.0%st
 Mem:   8197432k total,  8146536k used,    50896k free,     3212k
 buffers
 Swap: 18723708k total,   397296k used, 18326412k free,   683448k cached

 iostat -xd
 Device:         rrqm/s   wrqm/s     r/s     w/s   rsec/s   wsec/s
 avgrq-sz avgqu-sz   await  svctm  %util
 sda               4.22    29.23   77.11    1.75  1833.10   247.79
 26.39     1.04   13.16   5.60  44.20
 sdb               0.00     0.00    0.00    0.00     0.00     0.00
 39.37     0.00    2.83   2.39   0.00

 Ubuntu 9.10

 /opt/tomcat6/bin/version.sh
 Using CATALINA_BASE:   /opt/tomcat6
 Using CATALINA_HOME:   /opt/tomcat6
 Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/tomcat6/temp
 Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre
 Server version: Apache Tomcat/6.0.20
 Server built:   May 14 2009 01:13:50
 Server number:  6.0.20.0
 OS Name:        Linux
 OS Version:     2.6.31-14-server
 Architecture:   amd64
 JVM Version:    1.6.0_22-b04
 JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.

RE: Tomcat latency

Posted by David Dabbs <dm...@gmail.com>.

1.6.0_25 is the latest. And 1.7.0 is in final build stages and is stable.

david

Re: Tomcat latency

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

Re: Tomcat latency