Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Eugene Voytitsky <vi...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/09 23:51:25 UTC

Recommended read/write consistency level for counters

What is recommended read/write consistency level (CL) for counters?

Yes I know that write_CL + read_CL > RF is recommended.

But, I got strange results when run my junit tests with different CLs
against 3 nodes cluster.
I checked 9 combinations: (write=ONE,QUORUM,ALL) x (read=ONE,QUORUM,ALL)
Each junit test was repeated x50 times.
Reads and asserts were performed with 5 retries and growing delay
between retries (total delay = 3 mins) - in order to let replication
completes.

The minimum failed tests was with write=ONE.
Especially, write=ONE & read=ONE even completed with all tests passed.

This is strange result, I expected that write=QUORUM & read=QUORUM will
show great result, but it has more fails than write=ONE & read=ONE.

--
Best regards,
Eugene Voytitsky