Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Pete Houston <ph...@openstrike.co.uk> on 2014/12/19 19:03:40 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Single web page site settings questions ... i.e. KeepAlive,

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 03:18:57PM +0000, Rose, John B wrote:
> For a one page web site
>
> The page will have a very large number of visitors in a short time.  There will be simple text updates on the page and users will check back frequently to see the updates.
>
> Say 100k visitors each minute.
>

> For instance an emergency/disaster information/status page.
>

> 1. Is there any reason to have KeepAlive set to "On" ? If so, suggested KeepAliveTimeout?

No, unless the page has links to images, stylesheets, js or other static
content served by the same machine. But don't do that - host them on
another server with a long cache time instead.

> 2. Any other suggested Apache configuration settings for such a web site?

Use event MPM. Only load the modules which you need, which should be
almost none for one simple page. Read the docs on performance tuning.

> 3. Is there some way to cache the page in RAM?

Yes, but since you say there will be frequent updates, maybe investigate
just having the page on a ramdisk so you get fast reads and writes?

> 4. What if there is one section on the page that will be updated very frequently in a server side include, jquery, php include, etc, somehow, and we do not want to cache that part, but cached the rest of the page?

Yes, but only for javascript or iframes. I can't see how you could
accomplish it with SSI or PHP.

Pete
http://www.openstrike.co.uk/ or call 01722 770036 / 07092 020107