Posted to dev@whimsical.apache.org by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org> on 2019/01/06 15:52:47 UTC

Re: Moderation workbench for Whimsy?

Hi all,

(Coming from the comdev mailing list where the same idea/feature request popped up.)

I think this is quite a good idea and I want to help out with this idea as well.

As I haven't worked on Whimsy before I first want to be familiar with the way of working for Whimsy. Is everyone having a local setup to use for developing, or is there a development VM available for Whimsy? It's not a problem to setup something locally though.

Are the files DEVELOPMENT.md [1] and CONFIGURE.md [2] still up-to-date to get started with developing on whimsy?

- Roy

[1] https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/DEVELOPMENT.md
[2] https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/CONFIGURE.md

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.
On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 10:52 AM Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> (Coming from the comdev mailing list where the same idea/feature request popped up.)
>
> I think this is quite a good idea and I want to help out with this idea as well.
>
> As I haven't worked on Whimsy before I first want to be familiar with the way of working for Whimsy. Is everyone having a local setup to use for developing, or is there a development VM available for Whimsy? It's not a problem to setup something locally though.
>
> Are the files DEVELOPMENT.md [1] and CONFIGURE.md [2] still up-to-date to get started with developing on whimsy?

Short answer: the following is the most up to date:

https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/MACOSX.md

Longer answer: over the years, I've tried creating a VM (using
vagrant/chef), a Dockerfile, and generic (non-O/S specific)
instructions.  Other than one individual (Brett Porter) using the
Dockerfile a few times, none of these got much traction.

What did work was Mac OS/X specific instructions.  So, consider those
instructions tested, and any other instructions and "thought to work,
but untested".

What is your development O/S?

> - Roy
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/whimsy/blob/master/DEVELOPMENT.md