Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by Fr...@CIBCMellon.com on 2005/04/13 22:39:52 UTC

Replacing of apostrophe (') with entity in generated XML

Hey,
I have not seen any direct questions like this but several similar ones.
When generating an XML doc that contains content which has an apostrophe,
the apostrophe is generated in its natural form ('). I have not been able
to see a way to have the actual entity equivalent (') appear in its
place: even if the original content contains ' it is automatically
replaced when XMLBeans generates the final XML doc. I know that it is
legal to have the apostrophe in string content and that XMLBeans uses
double quotes for attributes so there should be no problem with using them
in this position, however the application that is being developed requires
that all apostrophes are replaced in the final XML doc with ' This is
for government submission, and they require the use of '

I am looking for a finite answer as to whether it can be done through
XMLBeans in some fashion, for example through some sort of configuration
that will inform XMLBeans to use the entity. I have not seen this
documented anywhere specifically, but have seen similar questions that
have been answered with 'no it cannot be done'.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Fred.

Disclaimer: This message is intended only for the use of the individual or
entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information which is
privileged, confidential, proprietary or exempt  from disclosure under
applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are
strictly prohibited from disclosing, distributing, copying or in any way
using this message.  If you have received this communication in error,
please notify the sender, and destroy and delete any copies you may have
received.