Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2003/03/07 22:00:32 UTC

Not processing links

How do I get Forrest not to try to process a link?

If I want to reference API docs that are relative to where I am,
how do I put that in my book.xml or site.xml?

I have tried this:

<external label="API Docs" href="api/"/>

But that causes a problem looking for the site.xml (using book.xml
for this one).

The only way it renders properly is if I do an absolute path to
where it will end up on the web site:

<menu-item label="API Docs"
   href="http://avalon.apache.org/excalibur/component/api/"/>

That doesn't help when a user wants to browse the docs offline.

Is this where we would *need* a site.xml, or are there still
problems?

Re: Not processing links

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 04:00:32PM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> How do I get Forrest not to try to process a link?

The solution is a bit hacky:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=forrest-dev&m=104605498612122&w=2

See avalon-site for an example.

> If I want to reference API docs that are relative to where I am,
> how do I put that in my book.xml or site.xml?
>
> I have tried this:
>
> <external label="API Docs" href="api/"/>
>
> But that causes a problem looking for the site.xml (using book.xml
> for this one).
>
> The only way it renders properly is if I do an absolute path to
> where it will end up on the web site:
>
> <menu-item label="API Docs"
>   href="http://avalon.apache.org/excalibur/component/api/"/>
>
> That doesn't help when a user wants to browse the docs offline.
>
> Is this where we would *need* a site.xml, or are there still
> problems?

No, this problem exists with both book.xml and site.xml

It breaks because the Cocoon CLI translates api/ to api/index.html.  The
pipeline happens to look for api/site.xml next, hence the error message.

--Jeff