Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2008/10/31 11:24:29 UTC

Re: svn commit: r709373 - in /xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop: ./ afp/ pdf/ render/ render/afp/ render/pdf/

Adrian,

would you mind if I renamed AbstractData to AbstractStateData (if it has
to be a top-level class) and moved it together with AbstractState and
StateStack to org.apache.fop.util or org.apache.fop.util.state? I don't
like those classes to be in the top-level FOP package. I'm also not sure
if "AbstractState" is speaking enough after it's moved out of the
"rendering" or "output generation" context. I'm thinking about renaming
that to "AbstractRenderingState".

On 31.10.2008 11:58:46 acumiskey wrote:
> Author: acumiskey
> Date: Fri Oct 31 02:58:46 2008
> New Revision: 709373

> Log:
> Fix for test/layoutengine/standard-testcases/block-container_absolute-position_fixed.xml.
>
> Added:
>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/AbstractData.java   (with props)
>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/AbstractState.java
>       - copied, changed from r708875, xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/AbstractState.java
>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/StateStack.java   (with props)
> Modified:
>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/afp/AFPState.java
>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/pdf/PDFState.java
>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/render/AbstractPathOrientedRenderer.java
>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/render/afp/AFPRenderer.java
>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/render/pdf/PDFRenderer.java

Jeremias Maerki

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
On 31.10.2008 12:54:54 Adrian Cumiskey wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> I understand what you are saying, its not ideal that it resides in org.apache.fop.  I'm trying to
> keep it away separate from the render package as it could be plugged into any engine (painter etc)
> which uses the libraries.  I guess we can move it to org.apache.fop.util for now, but I don't see
> this as a permanent home for the class as its not a utility class its a core rendering/painting
> engine room class.

Yes, at some point at least part of this stuff would need to be migrated
to XG Commons once the PDF library and the PDFGraphics2D are moved.

> I don't really like "AbstractRenderingState", I'd prefer "AbstractPaintingState" or
> "AbstractDrawingState" as the implication that the renderers are necessarily involved is not a good
> one.  WDYT?  I'm happy to take care of committing these changes after we have agreed on things :).

I agree, that's better. Thanks for taking care of the changes.

> Maybe in the future, especially after you have merged in your Temp_AreaTreeNewDesign branch we could
> think about having a 'core' top level package for common engine room classes?

Let's talk about that again when the time is ripe. I don't see the
connection between a top-level "core" package, rendering and whatever
you mean by "common engine room classes". A "core" for me in FOP is the
layout engine + FO tree and area tree. Renderers/Painters are generally
just optional plug-ins that could reside in separate source trees or
JARs. So there's nothing "core" about them.

> Adrian.
>
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > Adrian,
> >
> > would you mind if I renamed AbstractData to AbstractStateData (if it has
> > to be a top-level class) and moved it together with AbstractState and
> > StateStack to org.apache.fop.util or org.apache.fop.util.state? I don't
> > like those classes to be in the top-level FOP package. I'm also not sure
> > if "AbstractState" is speaking enough after it's moved out of the
> > "rendering" or "output generation" context. I'm thinking about renaming
> > that to "AbstractRenderingState".
> >
> > On 31.10.2008 11:58:46 acumiskey wrote:
> >> Author: acumiskey
> >> Date: Fri Oct 31 02:58:46 2008
> >> New Revision: 709373

> >> Log:
> >> Fix for test/layoutengine/standard-testcases/block-container_absolute-position_fixed.xml.
> >>
> >> Added:
> >>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/AbstractData.java   (with props)
> >>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/AbstractState.java
> >>       - copied, changed from r708875, xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/AbstractState.java
> >>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/StateStack.java   (with props)
> >> Modified:
> >>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/afp/AFPState.java
> >>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/pdf/PDFState.java
> >>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/render/AbstractPathOrientedRenderer.java
> >>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/render/afp/AFPRenderer.java
> >>     xmlgraphics/fop/branches/Temp_AFPGOCAResources/src/java/org/apache/fop/render/pdf/PDFRenderer.java
> >

> > Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki

Posted by Adrian Cumiskey <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jeremias,