Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/10/31 22:56:57 UTC

Re: [pool] pool: the future [WAS Re: [pool] synchronization issues in Pool]

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 12:49 -0400, Sandy McArthur wrote:
> Since you mentioned not breaking backwards compatibility I started
> working on a fresh implementation which I think is coming along very
> well and I intend to contribute back to the commons.

sounds good

moving to 2.0 gives a little more freedom but even so it makes sense to
preserve as much compatibility as possible.

> I've uploaded JavaDocs of what progress I've made so far. I figure I'm
> about 45% done not including unit tests. See the org.mcarthur.....
> package:
>
> JavaDocs for only the public interface:
> http://sandy.mcarthur.org/pool/Pool-Protected/
>
> JavaDocs including private members:
> http://sandy.mcarthur.org/pool/Pool-Private/

since there's substantial code and it's being developed elsewhere
(rather than on list here), they'll be some paperwork required. the
incubator projects acts as the contact point for this kind of thing.
i'll make some enquiries about the process. (the ASF is currently trying
to grow the new processes required to scale. things are a little
chaotic, under-development and under-documented at the moment so
patience may be required.)

ASF code is used extensively and it's very important that we can
demonstrate it's origins.

> I am interested in becoming a commiter someday.

cool

the ASF can be a bit mysterious (when viewed from the outside) at times.
few rules but lots of social conventions. if you get a minute or two,
browse the foundation sites (http://www.apache.org and
http://www.apache.org/dev) as well as jakarta.

- robert