Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dror Braznitzki <Dr...@yellowpages.co.il> on 2002/03/19 09:14:28 UTC

Linux and Apache

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I'll try
anyway.
We are thinking about moving from Solaris to Linux and I would like to
know if there is any recomended brand/version from the Apache point of
view, if there is a specific brand I should not use and any general
recomendations will be welcome.

Thanx,

Dror B

the system manager.

www.yellowpages.co.il

Re: Linux and Apache

Posted by Luke Scharf <ls...@ee.vt.edu>.
As near as I can tell, any of the big distributions will make a fine web
server.  The most important thing is to keep the patches up to date.

1. RedHat is the standard distribution.  You have to subscribe
($5/month?) to their "up2date" service or install Ximian's Red Carpet if
you want to make the patching easy.  RedHat+Ximian+Apache is a darn good
setup.

2. Debian's automatic patching service is free and Free.  In fact, the
standard installer all of the packages off of the Debian mirrors.  The
only problem is that the software on the stable distribution is usually
very old.  But, if you don't need the newest versions of everything,
Debian is an excellent choice.  I've even set up one machine to
automatically patch itself daily.  The "sysadmin" (and his boss) who are
responsible for this machine refused to keep it up to date through two
years and two major security incidents - the process has been automated
by a 3-line script and a crontab entry.

3. I'm not as qualified to talk about Mandrake, Suse, or whatever.

So, in my opinion, you are in the fortunate position where you have a
lot of good choices.  If only other decisions were like this.  :-)

-Luke

Re: Linux and Apache

Posted by James Harr <ja...@grickle.org>.
Hi everyone,

http://www.slackware.com/ - keep'n it real :)

Later,
James Harr

PS - That's my two cents, and that's it. I'm not all into that distro
zealot war, but do your self a favor and check that one out.

Re: Linux and Apache

Posted by Martin Haase-Thomas <mh...@meome-ag.de>.
Hi,