Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ahmet Arslan <io...@yahoo.com> on 2012/03/01 09:42:04 UTC

Re: Couple issues with edismax in 3.5

> I don't think mm will help here because it defaults to 100%
> already by the
> following code.

Default behavior of mm has changed recently. So it is a good idea to explicitly set it to 100%. Then all of the search terms must match.

> Regarding multi-word synonym, what is the best way to handle
> it now? Make
> it as a phrase with " or adding -  in between?
> I don't like index time expansion because it adds lots of
> noises.

Solr wiki advices to use them at index time for various reasons.

"... The recommended approach for dealing with synonyms like this, is to expand the synonym when indexing..."

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/AnalyzersTokenizersTokenFilters#solr.SynonymFilterFactory

However index time synonyms has its own problems as well. If you add a new synonym, you need to re-index those documents that contain this  newly added synonym.

Also highlighting highlights whole phrases. For example you have :
    us, united states
Searching for states will highlight both united and stated.
Not sure but this seems fixed with LUCENE-3668

I was thinking to have query expansion module to handle multi-word synonyms at query time only. Either using o.a.l.search.Query manipulation or String manipulation. Similar to Lukas' posting here
http://www.searchworkings.org/forum/-/message_boards/view_message/146097

Re: Couple issues with edismax in 3.5

Posted by William Bell <bi...@gmail.com>.
Actually the results are great with lucene. The issue is with edismax.
I did figure out the issue...

The scoring was putting different results based on distance, when I
really need the scoring to be:

score=tf(user_query,"smith") and add geodist() only if tf > 0. this is
pretty difficult to do in SOLR 3.5, but trivail in 4.0.

When are we getting tf() in 3.5 ?

Bill

--
Bill Bell