Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com> on 2003/04/18 18:14:56 UTC

[VOTE-RESULT] Excalibur Phase III List

SUMMARY

Good to go:
 + Release: Compatibility (with Naming and Loader)
 + Release: Fortress
 + Release: Lifecycle
 + Release: XMLUtil
 + Move: ThreadContext -> Cornerstone ThreadManager
 + Move: XFC           -> Sandbox

Disputed:
 + Policy        -> Phoenix
   -1 from peterd: should not move into phoenix as used as independent
                   component outside context of phoenix. It should be
                   kept a separate component and moved where it will be
                   maintained.

 + Loader        -> Extract from Attic, move to compatibility.
   -1 from bloritsch: Loader hasn't ever been used or released--let's
                      put it in our code graveyard though (tar.gz on the

                      web site).
 + Store
    ? from peterd: Why are we releasing what is basically a Cocoon
component here?

QUESTIONS:

Berin: I have more +1s than -1s on moving loader into compatibility. How
strong is
       your -1?

PeterD: Regarding Store: How strongly do you oppose the release?
        Regarding Policy: Move to Commons-Sandbox? Do you have any
suggestion for
                          a home for it?

LONG FORM:

Release-as-is list:

 + Compatibility (with Naming and Loader)

   +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler

 + Fortress

   +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler

 + Lifecycle

   +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler

 + Store

   +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler
    ? from peterd: Why are we releasing what is basically a Cocoon
component here?

 + XMLUtil

   +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler

Move list:

 + Loader        -> Extract from Attic, move to compatibility.

   +1 from leosutic, cziegler
   -1 from bloritsch: Loader hasn't ever been used or released--let's
                      put it in our code graveyard though (tar.gz on the

                      web site).

 + ThreadContext -> Cornerstone ThreadManager

   +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler

 + Policy        -> Phoenix

   +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler
   -1 from peterd: should not move into phoenix as used as independent
                   component outside context of phoenix. It should be
                   kept a separate component and moved where it will be
                   maintained.

 + XFC           -> Sandbox

   +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler

/LS

RE: [VOTE-RESULT] Excalibur Phase III List

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.
> From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>
> Where are you planning on putting i18n?  Its pretty useful.

No plans.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>>
>>Leo Sutic wrote:
>>
>>>So, you still fine with a deprecated Loader in compatibility?
>>
>>yes.
>

> Sheepishly I must admit to changing to a -1 myself. Loader is dependent
> on Extension i18n and a couple of other Excalibur projects that are
> about to be moved or nuked. Putting it in Compat would quadruple
> the dependencies for Compat with very little gain.

Where are you planning on putting i18n?  Its pretty useful.

We might want to fold it into the Avalon Bundle proposal that will
have to be developed in Sandbox.  Also, if Extension is part of the
Avalon Bundle solution, then they might have to fit together...

Compat should not have any dependecies itself.

-----Chris Rock

RE: [VOTE-RESULT] Excalibur Phase III List

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

> From: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@apache.org]
>
> Leo Sutic wrote:
> > SUMMARY
> >
> > Good to go:
> >  + Release: Compatibility (with Naming and Loader)
> >
> >  + Loader        -> Extract from Attic, move to compatibility.
> >    -1 from bloritsch: Loader hasn't ever been used or
> released--let's
> >                       put it in our code graveyard though
> (tar.gz on the
> >                       web site).
> >
> > QUESTIONS:
> >
> > Berin: I have more +1s than -1s on moving loader into
> compatibility.
> > How strong is
> >        your -1?
>
> It seems you are already counting on it being in compatibility.

Damn.

The line:

  + Release: Compatibility (with Naming and Loader)

was a mistake.

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Leo Sutic wrote:
> SUMMARY
>
> Good to go:
>  + Release: Compatibility (with Naming and Loader)
>
>  + Loader        -> Extract from Attic, move to compatibility.
>    -1 from bloritsch: Loader hasn't ever been used or released--let's
>                       put it in our code graveyard though (tar.gz on the
>                       web site).
>
> QUESTIONS:
>
> Berin: I have more +1s than -1s on moving loader into compatibility. How
> strong is
>        your -1?

It seems you are already counting on it being in compatibility.

I am not going to stand in the way of putting it in compatibility.  As
long as it is not construed as we are continuing support for it, I am
ok.

-----Chris Rock

Re: [VOTE-RESULT] Excalibur Phase III List

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 02:14, Leo Sutic wrote:
> PeterD: Regarding Store: How strongly do you oppose the release?

fairly strongly because it is not a component developed by Avalon but a
component developed by subset of Avalon from cocoon. It should be placed
where the community will support it (ie Cocoon). If there is really a need
for it over here (which I have not heard expressed) then someone  needs to
put in some effort at documenting and unit testing it before it is released.

>         Regarding Policy: Move to Commons-Sandbox? Do you have any
> suggestion for
>                           a home for it?

As I said before

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/spice/spice/components/xmlpolicy/

but we need to give it time to settle and need to make sure it is better unit
tested before Phoenix switches to it. SHould happen within a month. Until
then keep it where it is (or make gump depend on binary jar of class).

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
Dating a women is like driving in a foreign country. You
don't know what side of the road your on, you can't understand
the signs and you certainly don't want to ask for directions
but it usually worth the ride.

Re: [VOTE-RESULT] Excalibur Phase III List

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
update:

Leo Sutic wrote:
> Disputed:
>  + Policy        -> Phoenix
>    -1 from peterd: should not move into phoenix as used as independent
>                    component outside context of phoenix. It should be
>                    kept a separate component and moved where it will be
>                    maintained.
                      should be kept around unreleased for a month or so
                      and then deprecated in favor of spice-xmlpolicy

>  + Loader        -> Extract from Attic, move to compatibility.
>    -1 from bloritsch: Loader hasn't ever been used or released--let's
>                       put it in our code graveyard though (tar.gz on the
>                       web site).
      is not a veto, should be -0

>  + Store
>     ? from peterd: Why are we releasing what is basically a Cocoon
                      component here?
answer from me: it lives here and several people have an interest in
keeping it alive here. It is not a cocoon component technically, just
(percieved?) community-wise. Since we have more than enough cocooners to
maintain it here over here I do not think this is a "liability risk". If
it becomes a problem we just thump more cocooners on their heads to help
work things out (and no, I really really doubt the board will make that
a problem ;).

> LONG FORM:
>
> Release-as-is list:
>
>  + Compatibility (with Naming and Loader)

     +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler, leosimons

>  + Fortress

     +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler, leosimons

>  + Lifecycle
>
>    +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler, leosimons
>
>  + Store
>
>    +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler
      -0.5 or something from peterd

>  + XMLUtil
>
>    +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler
>
> Move list:
>
>  + Loader        -> Extract from Attic, move to compatibility.
>
>    +1 from leosutic, cziegler
      -0 from bloritsch: Loader hasn't ever been used or released--let's
>                       put it in our code graveyard though (tar.gz on the
>                       web site).
>
>  + ThreadContext -> Cornerstone ThreadManager
>
>    +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler
>
>  + Policy        -> Phoenix
>
>    +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler
>    -1 from peterd: should not move into phoenix as used as independent
>                    component outside context of phoenix. It should be
>                    kept a separate component and moved where it will be
>                    maintained.
alternative:
    + Policy        -> spice-xmlpolicy

      +1 from peterd

>  + XFC           -> Sandbox

     +1 from leosutic, bloritsch, cziegler, leosimons

cheers,

- LSD