Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by John Zedlewski <ze...@Princeton.EDU> on 1999/11/08 18:43:02 UTC

Profiling

This is a fairly stupid question, I know, but I can NOT get apache to compile and produce a usable gmon.out for use with
gprof and it's driving me crazy.  I tried just "make OPTIM=-pg", but the only gmon.out that creates is in the main
directory and gprof reports that it doesn't contain the necessary symbols.  Is there a simple way to get gprof to work
with it?
Thanks a lot!
--JRZ

Re: Profiling

Posted by Ryan Bloom <rb...@raleigh.ibm.com>.
I am assuming you are on Linux, but regardless, you HAVE to compile using
-DGPROF.  This is a define that disables profiling in the parent and
enables it in the children.  It's a good idea to use it whenever using
GPROF, and it is required when using gprof with Apache on Linux.

Ryan

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, John Zedlewski wrote:

> This is a fairly stupid question, I know, but I can NOT get apache to compile and produce a usable gmon.out for use with
> gprof and it's driving me crazy.  I tried just "make OPTIM=-pg", but the only gmon.out that creates is in the main
> directory and gprof reports that it doesn't contain the necessary symbols.  Is there a simple way to get gprof to work
> with it?
> Thanks a lot!
> --JRZ

Ryan Bloom		rbb@raleigh.ibm.com