Posted to dev@isis.apache.org by Dan Haywood <da...@haywood-associates.co.uk> on 2022/01/07 07:33:39 UTC

proposed words for Jan 2022 report to board

Hi folks,

Johan will be submitting this, but I've drafted the following for our
quarterly report.

Note in particular the questions I've posed in the last paragraph.  Happy
to drop that last paragraph if we'd rather have a preliminary discussion
here first, but are there any opinions on the idea?

Thx
Dan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The mission of Isis is the creation and maintenance of software related to
Framework for rapidly developing domain-driven apps in Java

## Issues:
There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Membership Data:
Apache Isis was founded 2012-10-17 (9 years ago)
There are currently 15 committers and 15 PMC members in this project.
The Committer-to-PMC ratio is 1:1.

Community changes, past quarter:
- No new PMC members. Last addition was Jörg Rade on 2020-04-12.
- No new committers. Last addition was Jörg Rade on 2020-03-23.

## Project Activity:
There continues to be substantial development work on v2.0, with the
framework being "re-platformed" to run on top of Spring Boot.

We had hoped to deliver a final M7 milestone before the end of the year, but
missed that target.  We fully expect that to be delivered this quarter.  The
M7 release includes some quite deep simplifications and refinements of the
programming model that we are looking forward to using ourselves!

After that the plan remains to move to RCs for final bugfixes.  We then
look to the project rename, mentioned in previous reports.

## Community Health:
This is a mature project. The framework is generally stable. While there is
little activity on the mailing lists, there is frequent activity on the
Slack channel (more on this topic below).

We do recognise that the community engagement is below a sustainable level,
but have high hopes for 2.0 (with its switch to defacto standards such as
Spring Boot and JPA) to reinvigorate the community; if we decide to rename
the project then this will be more like relaunch.  We have now started
submitting talks to a number of conferences to start the "marketing" effort
later this year.

## Comments requested:
While we've been enjoying using Slack as an additional means to support the
community, we recently discovered that Slack is now only "invite only",
thus
likely to be a barrier to participation.  We note that the Camel project
provides a link to Zulip (https://camel.zulipchat.com/login/).  We do
understand that the mailing list must remain the official communication
channel, but is there anything in the ASF byelaws to prevent us from
following
Camel's lead?

Separately, a number of committers and PMC members are no longer involved in
the project... of the 15, there is a core of 4 who are still actively
involved.  We know that ASF doesn't support the notion of "emeritus"
members.
As we are considering a rename, would it even be worthwhile to
archive the project and the kick off its successor as a new project in the
incubator?

Re: proposed words for Jan 2022 report to board

Posted by Johan Doornenbal <jo...@yodo.nl>.
Yes I did keep the last paragraph. I agreed with the questions; looking
forward for an answer.

Best regards / Met vriendelijke groet,

Johan Doornenbal

M 06 227 666 28