Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Lev Epshteyn <le...@google.com> on 2008/10/22 21:17:09 UTC

Creating a Shindig snapshot for distribution

I've been looking into creating a standalone version of Shindig/Jetty that
can be used to test gadget XML locally, but this is turning out to be a bit
harder than I thought.

While I can use Maven to build and run Shindig on my machine, and can get it
trying to render gadget XML files, I'm not sure where to begin in putting
together a standalone package that can be released in binary form, without
forcing the user to compile from source. The documentation is not really of
much help, since it's pretty sparse. Any pointers int he right direction
would be hugely appreciated by me.

P.S., I'm only interested in running the Java version of Shidig.

Re: Creating a Shindig snapshot for distribution

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:17 PM, Lev Epshteyn <le...@google.com> wrote:

> I've been looking into creating a standalone version of Shindig/Jetty that
> can be used to test gadget XML locally, but this is turning out to be a bit
> harder than I thought.
>
> While I can use Maven to build and run Shindig on my machine, and can get
> it
> trying to render gadget XML files, I'm not sure where to begin in putting
> together a standalone package that can be released in binary form, without
> forcing the user to compile from source. The documentation is not really of
> much help, since it's pretty sparse. Any pointers int he right direction
> would be hugely appreciated by me.

Please do not release anything in binary form. We are waiting for a formal
release before we do that, and this just creates confusion for users. If you
want a binary for personal use, just build it and keep it around somewhere.

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
We can do a maven assembly closer to when we get to a release that
will build a binary distribution, either based on jetty or on tomcat.

one thing that we really need to check (for the java version) is that
the release plugin works, as this will make life a lots easier. It
will probably also work for all of the php code, however.... is there
any mention of the version anywhere in the php code... or anything
that would need to be edited when the version number changes ?

Ian

Posted by Hans Granqvist <ha...@granqvist.com>.
It's hard, indeed. We did this internally, and while it's not too hard to
snapshot the dependency jars and create, say, a local ant build around it,
you soon run into Shindig and OpenSocial API/feature creep.

This was a few months back, though, so perhaps the framework APIs
are more stable now, but after a while we spent more and more time
syncing between our snapshot and current builds.

Part of the cost of living on the edge! :)