Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Chris J Lindberg <cj...@lindbergarts.com> on 2013/03/28 02:05:22 UTC

Error when opening multi-page PDF generated by PDFBox

Hello,

I generated a multi page document using Acrobat Pro by opening one PDF document then using insert from file to add a second page. My goal was to switch launch links to go to links but early on I got an error when trying to open the PDFBox generated file with either Preview or Acrobat:

The file “NEW_AllPages.pdf” could not be opened.
It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.

I stripped out all of the link code and ran the following where I load the input file and output a file based on command line arguments.

public class FindActionLinks {

    private static void usage() {
        System.err.println( "usage: " + FindActionLinks.class.getName() + " <input-file> <output-file>" );
    }

        PDDocument doc = null;

        try {
            if (args.length != 2) {
                usage();
            } else {
                doc = PDDocument.load(args[0]);

                doc.save( args[1] );
            }
        } finally {
            if (doc != null) {
                doc.close();
            }
        }
    }
}

After running this code I the error was the same. I then ran the code on a single PDF document that had no inserted pages from file. Is this a bug? Any idea on how to correct this?

Thanks,

Chris

Re: Error when opening multi-page PDF generated by PDFBox

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

we already have a similar case at PDFBOX-1551. you might want to follow its progress.

Maruan Sahyoun

Am 03.04.2013 um 03:37 schrieb Chris J Lindberg <cj...@lindbergarts.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I downloaded pdfbox-1.7.1 then replaced the pdfbox-1.8.0 library with 1.7.1. I then ran the code against the combined document. The resulting new171-CombinedLoremIpsum.pdf opens without error.
>
> http://ceratopsian.net/pdf/new171-CombinedLoremIpsum.pdf
>
> Looks like there may be an issue with pdfbox-1.8.0.
>
> Chris
>
> On Apr 2, 2013, at 6:18 PM, Chris J Lindberg wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I used pdfbox-1.8.0
>> JDK 1.6
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> On Apr 2, 2013, at 8:15 AM, Maruan Sahyoun wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> which version of pdfbox are you using? Can you test using pdfbox-1.7.1 AND pdfbox-1.8.0?
>>>
>>> With kind regards
>>>
>>> Maruan Sahyoun
>>>
>>> FileAffairs GmbH
>>> Josef-Schappe-Straße 21
>>> 40882 Ratingen
>>>
>>> Tel: +49 (2102) 89497 88
>>> Fax: +49 (2102) 89497 91
>>> sahyoun@fileaffairs.de
>>> www.fileaffairs.de
>>>
>>> Geschäftsführer: Maruan Sahyoun
>>> Handelsregister: AG Düsseldorf, HRB 53837
>>> UST.-ID: DE248275827

Re: Error when opening multi-page PDF generated by PDFBox

Posted by jl...@gi-bon.sk.
I am not working with interactive PDFs in this case. Just flat PDFs. I am
not merging two files into one.
So mentioned PDFBOX-1551 is not my case.

I open PDF, make some modifications to PDF (like append new text to pages
and so on) and then save it to new file.
Unfortunately I am not able to go through the code right now :(

I just wanted to confirm Chris J Lindberg that I have very similar problem
with 1.8.0.

Best regards
Juraj Lonc

From:   Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>
To:     "users@pdfbox.apache.org" <us...@pdfbox.apache.org>,
Date:   03. 04. 2013 13:12
Subject:        Re: Error when opening multi-page PDF generated by PDFBox

could you verify if the description of the issue matches and if yes attach
to the case?

Maruan Sahyoun

Am 03.04.2013 um 09:53 schrieb jlonc@gi-bon.sk:

> I ran into the same problem.
>
> Swapped from 1.7.1 to 1.8.0 and then started to get corrupt pdf files
from
> pdfbox.
> But I was not sure whether it is caused by pdfbox 1.8.0 or my little
> custom changes that I made to source codes (same as I did to 1.7.1).
> (hadn't time to check that yet)
>
> Now it seems that there is some bug in 1.8.0 if other users have the
same
> problem.
>

> Best regards
> Juraj Lonc
>

> From:   Chris J Lindberg <cj...@lindbergarts.com>
> To:     users@pdfbox.apache.org,
> Date:   03. 04. 2013 03:38
> Subject:        Re: Error when opening multi-page PDF generated by
PDFBox

<cj...@lindbergarts.com>:

> page.

> to PDF from Microsoft Word.

> LoremIpsum.pdf then inserting GeneratedLoremIpsum.pdf after the second
> page.

> save a new PDF file against all three files. The single documents,
> LoremIpsum.df and GeneratedLoremIpsum.pdf generated files that can be
> opened without error.

> when opened.
> damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.

> just tested outputting two English Word documents as PDF then combined
the
> two using Acrobat Pro then ran the code below. The result gave me the
same
> error when trying to open the output file using Preview.

> PDF document then using insert from file to add a second page. My goal
was
> to switch launch links to go to links but early on I got an error when
> trying to open the PDFBox generated file with either Preview or Acrobat:

> recognize.

> load the input file and output a file based on command line arguments.

> + " <input-file> <output-file>" );

> code on a single PDF document that had no inserted pages from file. Is
> this a bug? Any idea on how to correct this?

Re: Error when opening multi-page PDF generated by PDFBox

Posted by jl...@gi-bon.sk.
Hi,
generating of damaged PDFs is gone in my case ;)
1.8.1 seems to be much better then 1.8.0
good work ;)

1.8.1 is good successor to 1.7.1 ;)

Best regards
Juraj Lonc

From:   Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>
To:     users@pdfbox.apache.org,
Date:   11. 04. 2013 07:46

Hi,

please try the new 1.8.1 release. The issue should be solved.

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris J Lindberg <cj...@lindbergarts.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.

From:   Chris J Lindberg <cj...@lindbergarts.com>
To:     users@pdfbox.apache.org,
Date:   03. 04. 2013 03:38

Posted by Chris J Lindberg <cj...@lindbergarts.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris J Lindberg <cj...@lindbergarts.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris J Lindberg <cj...@lindbergarts.com>.
Andreas,

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 28.03.2013 05:43, schrieb Chris J Lindberg:
> Additional information: The error occurred on Norwegian documents. I just tested outputting two English Word documents as PDF then combined the two using Acrobat Pro then ran the code below. The result gave me the same error when trying to open the output file using Preview.
>
> On Mar 27, 2013, at 6:05 PM, Chris J Lindberg wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I generated a multi page document using Acrobat Pro by opening one PDF document then using insert from file to add a second page. My goal was to switch launch links to go to links but early on I got an error when trying to open the PDFBox generated file with either Preview or Acrobat:
>>
>> The file “NEW_AllPages.pdf” could not be opened.
>> It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.
>>
>> I stripped out all of the link code and ran the following where I load the input file and output a file based on command line arguments.
>>
>> public class FindActionLinks {
>>
>>     private static void usage() {
>>         System.err.println( "usage: " + FindActionLinks.class.getName() + " <input-file> <output-file>" );
>>     }
>>
>>     public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
>>         PDDocument doc = null;
>>
>>         try {
>>             if (args.length != 2) {
>>                 usage();
>>             } else {
>>                 doc = PDDocument.load(args[0]);
>>
>>                 doc.save( args[1] );
>>             }
>>         } finally {
>>             if (doc != null) {
>>                 doc.close();
>>             }
>>         }
>>     }
>> }
>>
>> After running this code I the error was the same. I then ran the code on a single PDF document that had no inserted pages from file. Is this a bug? Any idea on how to correct this?
That's hard without having a hand on the pdf in question.

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Chris

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: Error when opening multi-page PDF generated by PDFBox

Posted by Chris J Lindberg <cj...@lindbergarts.com>.