Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com> on 2012/03/27 16:09:54 UTC

User list

Now that we're a top level project with a growing community, it's time to
open a user list. This dev list is fine for development of Apache Rave, but
will probably scare off users who want to implement projects with Apache
Rave and need help with installations, UI customizations or other subject
that don't belong to the development of the product itself.
Who can activate one of help me activate one?

Jasha Joachimsthal

Europe - Amsterdam - Oosteinde 11, 1017 WT Amsterdam - +31(0)20 522 4466
US - Boston - 1 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02142 - +1 877 414 4776 (toll free)

www.onehippo.com

Re: User list

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
On Mar 30, 2012, at 4:52 AM, Ate Douma wrote:

>>> Is MoinMoin the choice?  It's fine by me, but I thought that Confluence was requested by someone...
> Hmm, maybe I jumped too quick to a conclusion?
>
> I did propose creating a MoinMoin wiki after graduation on the roadmap discussion, if nobody objected...
> The only feedback I got was a +1 from Matt [1] :)

I am also + 1 MoinMoin given its simplicity. I just raised some advantages on confluence, but I agree with all other comments and which wiki is less of an issue. Good now we have the setup, so we can focus on the content itself.

Suresh

Re: User list

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.
Shouldn't we have started a new thread for the wiki?

On 30 March 2012 13:55, Franklin, Matthew B. <mf...@mitre.org> wrote:

> [...]

I have no strong preference for MediaWiki, MoinMoin or Confluence although
I know Confluence best.

> [...]
> >access to commuters only.
> >This actually can be (and should be) done with MoinMoin too, see [4] for
> >some info.
> >> This way if we are having some documentation pages as part of the
> >releases,
> >Note: ASF INFRA, as of Nov. 1 2011, no longer support/allow (auto)
> exporting
> >Confluence to static content to be merged in the main website see [5]
> >
> >And I strongly dislike having documentation considered important enough to
> >be
> >'released' *not* also and primarily/leading on our website itself.
> >I easily and quick envision a decline on quality and effort there
> otherwise.
> >So -1 from me on that one...
>
> +1 on keeping important documentation on the website.  -1 for the Wiki.

I totally agree with you. We should mention on the front page of the wiki
what kind of content belongs on the wiki and what belongs on the
(documentation) website. The website and wiki should link to each other. Is
there a way we can have a single search engine for both (Google?).

RE: User list

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Re: User list

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Re: User list

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
On Mar 29, 2012, at 12:10 PM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:
>> I'm going to open a request for creating a MoinMoin wiki instance at
>> http://wiki.apache.org/rave
>
> Is MoinMoin the choice?  It's fine by me, but I thought that Confluence was requested by someone...

I do not have  the right insights to comment on both the wiki's but I have noticed confluence has the some extra benefits which might come handy:

* Integration with JIRA - I am not sure how ASF deployment is setup, but I have seen projects who effectively use these two to compliment each other.
* We can have public write access as well as subset of pages with write access to commuters only. This way if we are having some documentation pages as part of the releases, the committer contributed content is already covered by ICLA.s. Others (who do not have a ICLA on file) can comment on these restricted pages without directly editing them and we can take the comments and update the pages.

RE: User list

Posted by "Franklin, Matthew B." <mf...@mitre.org>.

Re: User list

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Re: User list

Posted by Jasha Joachimsthal <j....@onehippo.com>.
On 27 March 2012 18:16, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012, at 02:12 PM, Franklin, Matthew B. wrote:

Thanks for creating users@rave.apache.org. I'll add it to the documentation
site.

Jasha

Re: User list