Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/22 13:02:45 UTC

HTTPS recording - add option to skip certificate creation?

If running under Java 7, the Test Recorder always tries to create a
certificate file when starting the Proxy. That was possibly a mistake,
but the intention was to ensure that the certificate was available
before recording started.

The consequence is that the cert is created even if the user is not
recording HTTPS. This can cause problems if the Java installation does
not include keytool, or if the bin directory is not writable. Also it
slows down the start.

So maybe there should be an option on the Recorder screen which
specifies whether or not the user wants to record HTTPS?

For example, I did wonder if the new HTTPS domain field should be used
for that purpose (i.e. check if it is non-empty). Or do we need a
separate checkbox?

It does look as though the code should check to see if keytool is
available, and revert to the original behaviour if not. Also maybe
check if the target directory is writable.

Re: HTTPS recording - add option to skip certificate creation?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 24 October 2013 20:46, Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:

The JAVA_HOME variable is not actually needed.

However Java _must_ be on the PATH otherwise JMeter itself won't start.

So I don't understand why there are problems, unless the PATH points
to a Java installation that does not include keytool.

Clearly the code needs to be better at detecting whether keytool is
present on the path or not.

I'm less keen on providing a property which points to keytool.
If the user installed a new version of Java or moved it the property
would need to be changed.

Though I suppose we could log an error if the property is defined incorrectly.

As to documentation, the easiest might be to start with a Wiki page
that can later be copied to the website.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: HTTPS recording - add option to skip certificate creation?

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
I answered the SO question:
-

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: HTTPS recording - add option to skip certificate creation?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: HTTPS recording - add option to skip certificate creation?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.